Monday, September 28, 2009

Stop Me Before I Volunteer Again

Despite my attempts at New School Year's Resolutions, my plate is very, very full...and as often ends up being the case in my life, everything is coming to a head at one time. I officially have too many irons in the fire.

I am currently committed to the following:

Leading weekly Bible study at the Girls' home on Monday nights

Working through Trusting God Even When Life Hurts with my accountability partner (chapter a week)

Facilitating a small group for Esther (which means having to have all that Beth Moore homework done each week)

Chairing the Board of the children's home...including a Board meeting this week and our huge annual fundraiser this weekend.

Co-chairing Young Life local committee with my husband (and working on that big fundraiser coming in three weeks)

Serving on the Worship Task Force for our church, evaluating adding a contemporary/convergent service to our Sunday line up

Steering committee for our school's upcoming fundraiser (next month)

Planning a community wide educational symposium with the proceeds from the Heart Walk back in February.

Preparing for a return trip to Disney next week

This is all in addition to my normal tasks as wife, mommy, friend, household manager, laundress, blogger, weekly school volunteer, Couples small group member, Sunday school attender, substitute children's ministry volunteer and bill payer.

I like to be productive and involved...but I am much busier than I would like to be at the moment. I don't want to complain. I did not take committing to any of these things lightly, but I do hope that once this 'busy season' passes I can remember how overwhelming it feels to be in the midst of this! (And to realize that by bouncing from thing to thing, it is far less likely my tasks are being done with excellence.)

I feel like people often misunderstand busy-ness. I can honestly say I am not trying to prove anything. I don't feel like I have to earn my salvation. I am simply responding to needs around me, when I am asked to do so and they fall in line with what God has revealed His Will to be for my life. I want to be a good steward of my time, talents and resources.

As I thought about this overnight, I couldn't help but wonder if I am somehow attempting to justify my status as homemaker. I am learning that as a stay-at-home Mom whose kids are in school, there is a fine line between 'idle hands' and over committed. I fear it may be a lifelong battle for me to learn the balance.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

ok, well then I am officially not busy. I was feeling bad for myself...not anymore. WOW

Traci said...

I used to have that problem- then someone very important to me said this- there is a difference in service and slavery. Sounds like you might be teetering on self-imposed slavery. Don't feel guilty for having to say no to a few things- you have 3 small children and a husband who works long hours. Your day is coming- there will be a time when you can be on all of those committees, lead all of those studies, etc. - it's just not right now sister! It's okay- really- you are just as worthy doing a couple of things as you are doing a dozen. I love your heart! Take care of it! :)

Emmy said...

I just have to take some time to brag on my neighbor! I always stand in awe of her! She has SO much on her plate and still selflessly serves others with such beauty and grace! I don't know how she does it but she is by far one of the best Moms I know (and I know a lot of Moms) and she does more for others than anyone I know! Every bit of it is done with excellence and all to the glory of our Lord! Just Beautiful! I am blessed to be her neighbor!

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

Okay, I know this is a totally serious post, but I just have to say that, when I saw the words "Worship Task Force," I totally cracked up. I have this image of you stalking around the sanctuary in all black with a little FBI hat on and a radio in your ear.

Also: I CANNOT BELIEVE THE KIDS ARE GOING BACK TO DISNEY! I am SO excited for them!!!

Traci said...

Oh I hope I wasn't preachy and offensive! I really didn't mean to be, but I thought later after I sent you the message that what I wanted to be encouragament may have sounded- well, not encouraging. That was NOT the intent- I just wanted to tell you I've been there and I know the frustration of trying to do so many things well and feeling overwhelmed. So- I'm so sorry if it sounded preachy or judgmental- I really meant it to be an encouragement to feel free to let some things go, that no one would think you less of a person.

Please forgive if I offended.

Jennifer said...

Traci- Not offended AT ALL. It was solid wise counsel and I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I find myself in the same situation. It is a hard line to balance. I see you as giving heart. It is hard to say no. Both of my kids are in school now and one of my friends said - so what are you going to do with your time? I have filled it up easily.

Anonymous said...

This is something that I have been thinking about lately. Although I know I don't have as much on my plate as others, but what I have realised that what I have got on my plate is more than I can handle. So I am going to try try try try not to take anything else on. wish me luck!