Wednesday, July 01, 2009

A Good Lesson

About 6 weeks ago K took on a $20 debt as a result of a bout of sassiness and disobedience. Little did I know at the time just how powerful of a lesson this would become. Twenty dollars is a big debt for a 5 year old girl. I felt that it was important to keep my word about her punishment, but it was trying when the boys had money to spend on treats and she did not. On more than one occasion tears were shed over K's perception of the unfairness of it all. (And even though I value consistency, I felt pretty bad.)

A nice lesson about avoiding debt (the borrower is slave to the lender) was added to what I was attempting to teach about consequences of disobedience. It has been a long 6 weeks.

This morning K paid me two more dollars she had earned. Her debt had been whittled down to $1. As she and I talked about how close she was to having her debt repaid an amazing sibling moment occurred.

R is undoubtably my most competitive child. He is not afraid to throw elbows, bend rules and do whatever it takes to win. For this reason, I was astounded when he said, "I want to give K one of my moneys."

I knew he only had $1 in his savings jar. I was not sure if he remembered he had so little. He went to his jar, opened it and to my shock he took his last dollar and used it to pay her debt.

K was ecstatic--and I made a big deal over how proud I was of R's selfless act. "I just wanted to help her out," he beamed.I tried to use it as a segue way to a quick talk about the debt we owed God for our sin. I am not sure if they got it...but I certainly got a lesson I hope I won't soon forget.

17 comments:

MaryBeth said...

such sweet and good siblings... the story brought tears to my eyes.

Jenny D said...

Aww! That's awesome! I was wondering how that whole issue worked out for you guys! I'm glad to hear there's a good ending to the story! The consistency is so important! Great job!

Traci said...

Wow- that is maturity beyond most adults years. I'm showing this post to my kiddos tomorrow. How inspiring.

Liz said...

Oh my gosh. That's awesome! Wiping a tear away as I type this! Great job, R!!!!

Christi said...

That's just amazing! What a fantastic lesson!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I LOVE this!!!!!!!!! When my oldest was in college he was home for the weekend and complained about not having any $$$$. The youngest gave him his jar of change that he had been saving. Love and unselfishness at its finest!! There is nothing like a sibling's love!

Tara said...

What loving children you are raising. I think the lessons learned from your 6 weeks were probably more than you could have expected.

Jennifer said...

That is too precious!

dee said...

Reading this through tears in my eyes. The picture is priceless - the look on his face! How he truly felt her pain and wanted "to help her out."

Samantha said...

Wow! What a lesson.

I usually read your blog everyday, but being summertime, I've missed the last 10 days or so. When I got to the office today and checked on you, I noticed a pattern in several of your most recent posts -- guilt. To an outsider it appears that satan is whispering into your ear. Surely you have not been that out of control with your words!

Beth Moore teaches that guilt from the Holy Spirit's conviction leads to repentence. Guilt fueled by shame is Satan's signature.

If it is not the HS you are hearing, don't give the other guy the time of day! You are too precious to let him weigh you down with guilt!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you, Samantha. He pointed out something similar to me this morning. I appreciate your words so much!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Mary Lou said...

The first thought that came to me was Paid in Full. Wow what a great heart R has...he couldn't stand to see her pain, what compassion at such a young age. Only God can put that in the heart of a small child much less some of us old, big children. Thanks for sharing.

laurie said...

The look on R's face is priceless. What a sweetie!

Bailey's Leaf said...

Now that just made my heart smile.

Ms. ~K said...

I read your blog daily and never leave a comment...but this brought a smile to my face...Your children are a reflection of you! You should be proud!
Kit
Cleveland, GA

Bethany said...

Aw, that is so sweet. Gotta love siblings! ;)