Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Good Mom

This afternoon the children and I took a quick road trip to see Grandmother, Granddaddy & Nana in Atlanta. We played, swam, snacked, fed geese in a nearby pond, enjoyed dinner and then travelled back home. There was laughter and fun, but there was also crude joking, not listening, a couple of major fits, running indoors, voices raised too loud, rushing on and off elevators impolitely in front of adults. Normal 5 year old behavior...

As we drove home my mind went back over our afternoon--a little game I play, evaluating how I handled specific situations and how I could respond differently (better) the next time. Then my thoughts went to a dangerous place, wondering what others thought of the way I mother my children. Specifically, I wondered if my inlaws thought I was too hard on K, P & R.

So, I called my sweet mother-in-law and completely put her on the spot by asking. I invited her to give me her thoughts on how to handle some of the behaviors she witnessed. Thankfully, she is a wonderfully gracious woman whom I trust and respect. The conversation was helpful.

But as we got off the phone and into this evening I have found myself pondering why being a Mom can be so guilt-inducing.

I have no expectation of being perfect. I just really want to give it my all. I want to be a good and faithful servant who does well with what she is entrusted.

I pray. I read. I compare notes with other Moms.

I mess up. I apologize. I respond in ways I wish I hadn't. I embrace grace and mercy and pray for the strength to do it all over again the next day.

As I was thinking about it tonight I couldn't help but wonder...what is the definition of a good Mom anyway?

I think a good mother loves her Lord, her husband and her children. I believe she strives to model love, service and faithfulness for her family. A good mother is someone who understands her need for a Saviour and never pretends she can do it all on her own. She enjoys her God-given place in life and strives to be a good steward of what she has been entrusted. She is prayerful and intentional about equipping her children for the world they live in. She embraces the fact that she is the woman God chose for this family at this place in history.

She is not perfect. She is not a cookie cutter. Her children do not always agree with her. She is not trying to raise children that worship her--she deflects the glory to her God. She does not allow the lies of the Enemy to creep into her head and torture her.

She points out her husband and children's strengths. She loves them in spite of their faults. She disciplines. She laughs. She loves. And in the end she recognizes that she has done neither the making or the saving and trusts God alone to finish the work He began.

8 comments:

Brandy Thixton said...

I play that little game in my head almost every night after the kids' bedtime. It's so hard not to walk in condemnation for my mistakes. Thanks for this! It really encouraged me today!

Kylie and crew. said...

Great thoughts...thanks for sharing. I wish I lived near you and could know you in "real life" you are an amazing mom and I'm thankful I get a little peak into your life and can learn from you!

k and c's mom said...

I'm on the other side of raising children. I asked my now-adult children what they remembered about me: thankfully it was the fun, the love and the prayers! We tend to want to put the days under a microscope. The children will remember the gleaming moment within a year.
I think reflection is helpful. The ways the children bless you (and you bless them) come through loud and clear in these posts.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I think this is one of the best things you have ever written. I am going to send the link to my daughter to read.

Felicia said...

I've said this before and I'll say it again..I don't think there has ever been someone who after reading your blog is more like me in the way my brain thinks sometimes! I feel exactly the same! I have always said the one thing no book or parenting class can prepare you for is mommy guilt. :) Thanks!

Mary Lou said...

My adult children seem to remember only good from what my husband and I did. Think back to your own childhood and see exactly what you remember..bet it's more good than bad. You are doing a great job..you are doing all you know to do and then some every day. None of us are perfect and you can only do what you can do at the moment in time. Don't be so hard on yourself. You have three happy, healthy children who love each other and the rest of thier family. So, that tells me you are doing alot of right and not that much wrong. Just keep looking to Him for your answers and you will be fine and they will turn out just fine. You are keeping your focus on Him and wanting to please Him and that is just about the most important thing I can think of that you do for your children..one of them anyway.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the comments, ya'll. I think we all get in these self critical funks from time to time.

Amy said...

Well-said.
Amy@balmingilead.typepad.com