Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Bike Ride

Like so many things, it seemed like a really great idea. My husband has been anxious to get the children proficient enough on their bikes that we could manage a family ride. For Father's Day I got him a bike rack that will transport 5 bicycles and today seemed like a great day to try it out.

It was only about 80 degrees at 9 am when we started preparing for our cycling adventure. By the time the bikes were loaded, drinks were iced down and packed, helmets and pads were located, everyone was lathered in sunscreen and dressed, snacks were prepared and everyone was buckled up in the car 90 minutes had passed--and the thermometer was measuring closer to 90 as well. But we were committed!
We drove to a nearby college that has a great car-less trail. The plan was to bike a little while and then turn back for the car when everyone seemed ready. All it took was a few giggles, up close deer sightings and a handful of "this is fun!" remarks to get us hooked.

After about a mile, my husband decided to go back to get the car and drive it farther down the trail to meet us. Trouble is, a large fence has been erected in the 6 years since my husband and I last enjoyed this trail. There is no longer access to the 4+ mile trail but for at the start and at the finish.

As the children and I were cruising along (cellphone-less I might add) I could hear the horn of my car honking in the distance...a strange combination of smoke signal and morse code. Over the 14 foot fence, through the forest, off to my right I could hear my true love honking. As he yelled the bad news regarding trail access and asked if I wanted to turn the children back, I got overconfident.

"No! We'll go to the end. We are having a great time!"

Famous last words...

A short time later a family friend (and grandfather of 4 1/2 year old quadruplets) biked past us coming the other direction. He looked a little surprised to see us.
"Ya'll okay?"
"Yes sir! We are heading to the end to meet Husband/Daddy."
"Hang in there. It is a long hot ride. You still have a ways to go."
He pedaled off, but in a couple of minutes he was back with a big bottle of water.
"I haven't opened this. I think you might want to take it."

This should have been my warning...
There was absolutely no shade over the last 3 miles of the trail. It was high noon on a Summer day in the deep South. Suddenly K lost her pedal. I screwed it back on,only to have it come off 7 MORE times. We had a couple of bike wrecks. Thankfully, we were heavily padded.

Daddy reappeared on the trail bearing another bottle of water with about 2 miles to go. Thankfully. The next major bike wreck resulted in a skinned up, bloody knee. The 6 littlest legs in our family were exhausted.

It was incredibly hot. At one point K said, "Why is there water rolling down my face?" I got to introduce her to the glory of sweat, I mean, glistening.

Considering the challenge, the children were amazing troopers! Our car and its cooler full of Gatorade had never looked so good.
Over four miles is not bad at all for an inaugural ride...although I think we may wait until Fall before we attempt it again!

In a strange way I really enjoyed doing something so challenging with the children. It was a great lesson in humility (for me) and endurance for us all.

14 comments:

Bailey's Leaf said...

Congratulations! You made it! Everyone ended up exactly where they needed to be and although a little glistened, a few bandaids, some water and a rebellious bike pedal, y'all made it!

Good for you!

Just me said...

What a milestone! =)

Scott said...

I am finding this blog really inspirational so far, congrats on the bike ride and keep on going!

chick-n-man said...

Did you see any cute little campers on your ride?!

Love ya!

Suzanne

Jennifer said...

Suz- No, but I sure did look! Call me regarding your plans for this week :-)

k and c's mom said...

Talk about "finishing the course!" Well done, good and faithful little Scott family!

Laura said...

I'm from the north, but was just in Mississippi last week to help my sister in law and her husband move (he's in the air force and is stationed in Columbus, Mississippi). Anyway, I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the humidity! I have never in all my life experienced anything like it! We can get some 85-90 degree days in Ohio, but they are nothing like down there. Whew!

So, now knowing that...you're story if that much more remarkable! Thank God for air conditioning!

Stay cool!

georgiamom said...

Tried this---didn't make it! Very proud of you!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

What troopers they are. And their mom is too. Way to go!!!! Are you guys sore today?

Kris said...

Great job! that is a great lesson for the kids, too - I'm sure they are proud. I love those big challenges as a family too (usually more after they are over...)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That's amazing. Kudos to you and the kids.

AnnG said...

4 miles is an amazing feat in itself, but with 3 5 year olds in the noon day sun!! Wow!! I'm impressed!!

Kate Geisen said...

Way to stick with it. I bet they were sooo proud of themselves!

Aubrey said...

Wow! Well done. I think I will learn from you, though, and put off a long ride until fall. =)