Friday, May 15, 2009

Birthday Walks

The Montessori birthday tradition is a 'Birthday Walk.' The class sits on the circular rug in the center of the room. A sun is placed in the middle of the circle and the birthday boy/girl holds a globe and orbits the sun to symbolize the number of years they have been alive. As they make their way around the circle, highlights of their life so far are described. (This is why I have no photographs to share--I was too busy recapping precious little lives.) We shared pictures from each year as we told stories about their development.

Each class had its own special touches. In R's class Ms. Wanda keeps the beat of the walk on a drum. K's class allows the birthday girl/boy to select a classmate to hold the sun. P's teacher lights a candle for each lap. Daddy was able to put a hold on his cases mid-morning in order to enjoy the festivities. Each child got both of us in their room for their walk. It was a special way to commemorate their birthday!
(This is a picture of my 'staging area' in the hallway between their classrooms, featuring everything but the chicken nuggets: juice boxes, fruit, veggies, cupcakes, plates, napkins, baby pictures....check, check, check...)

Even though it was a lot of work to host three meaningful ceremonies and provide lunch for three classes, it was clearly special for my trio. They each got to be THE guest of honor at a birthday celebration. Their smiles were priceless--and tonight as we recounted the fun of the day, I got to see those smiles again. It was definitely worth the work!

7 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

What a neat tradition. And how wonderful that both of you were able to be there to share it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful moment for each of the triplets to be the focus. That is a memory I am sure they won't soon forget.

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

That is AWESOME! What a way to make them feel special! Way to go, girl. You are so good!

k and c's mom said...

This is such a great way to commemorate birthdays! I'm going to incorporate it into my first grade classroom next year. What a meaningful way to show the children a picture of the years passing, and the richness of those years. I bet you did an outstanding job... Times three!

Rhonda said...

I enjoy reading all about your 3 little ones. I teach at a Montessori school and birthday celebrations are one of my favorite things! I found your blog through kelly's korner. thanks for letting me "stalk" it. Rhonda (jrkturner@yahoo.com)

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

I'm just now getting to comment on this though I did read it earlier. I'm not ashamed to admit that I kept checking the blog for an update on how their class parties went!!! :)

I am so glad to hear they went so well and I am SO impressed at your staging area. You're amazing!

Bethany said...

We do the birthday walk at my Montessori school, too. It's a neat tradition- we have the parents read a sentence or two about each year of the child's life as well. I'm sure the kiddos all loved it!