Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Survivor

In a few weeks I will be participating in our community's annual heart walk. Last year was my first time to participate and the experience of wearing that red survivor cap for the first time was far more emotional than I had imagined.

This year I have been asked to serve as the honoree, so I spent some time this morning filming a PSA. I realized that I am really uncomfortable with the attention. A couple of people have congratulated me for being the honoree and I have laughed. Why congratulate me? I did nothing to 'earn' the honor. Yes, I am a survivor...but I did not save myself.

I had an Aha! moment this afternoon as I compared it to the identity all of us who profess to be Christians have as survivors. You may not have had a near death experience on this Earth (although I continue to be amazed at how many people do have stories of such), but if you have accepted Christ, you are a survivor for Eternity. You have been saved from the death sin brings. And like me, you did not save yourself.

Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving.

He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.
Ephesians 2:6-8 (The Message)


What is that work He has for us?

I think it is to live a life that tells His story and gives Him all the credit. For me, my 'survival' both spiritually and physically has prompted me to want to live a life that brings glory to Him. I mess up A LOT! There are so many moments where I entertain those whispers of Why are you even trying? Who do you think you are to represent the Lord when you act/think/speak like this?

Today I was reminded who I am as I listened to a reading of Matthew 5 from the Message:
"You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)

So while it still makes me cringe a little to wear the survivor cap and get attention for my story, in many ways it is the only way a grateful survivor could be expected to behave.

Why should evangelism be different? Why are we humble about our salvation? We aren't bragging on ourselves, but on the One who did the work. I'd say He has earned it.

We all have an amazing story to tell. Why aren't we all telling the world about our near eternal death experiences?

6 comments:

Christi said...

What a fresh perspective; I've never thought of it from this angle. Thanks for sharing!

Me said...

I've read this a couple of times since last night.. I really love it and can't stop thinking about it! Thank you so much for sharing.

geisme said...

Jmom, As always, an amazing post. Thankyou, thankyou for being so honest & vulnerable, for sharing what God is doing in your life so that others may glean & learn, not just from you, but from the master himself. :)
-Gail

Samantha said...

You have the sweetest spirit. I love reading about your precious children and their delightful adventures, especially since mine are older and I long for these days of innocence once again. But, I am most blessed by your daily attempt to find God and live your life in service to Him. So many of your postings make me think you are a modern day Mary, "pondering all these things in her heart," but graciously sharing them so that others might be encouraged. May God pour out his riches blessings on you, your hubby and those three precious children!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Wonderful post! So true. I am thankful that with age...shyness retreats and I am getting bolder. I have lots of catching up to do...

Daree said...

You wearing that cap is hope for so many! I am glad you are going to do this again. Be sure and bring your own snacks! Light things can be bought at WalMart before hand....ha..ha..ha!