Friday, December 26, 2008

Letting Go

We celebrated Boxing Day today by packing up a few things for Salvation Army. The primary thing I wanted to pass on were our stuffed animal chairs. The children have outgrown them and now that we have the bean bag chairs there is just not much room in our small playroom.
I am a purger. I do not typically have emotional attachments to things. Yet, as we were carrying them out to the car I had a twinge in my heart. We have enjoyed these chairs for the last 3 1/2 years. I can remember the children pulling up on them when we first got them.

Feeling strangely sentimental, I asked the children to take a final snapshot with them today.
Even as I drove away from the Salvation Army I wondered if I was doing the right thing. But, truly, we do not have the space for them...and we have a more size-appropriate substitute. Why was it feeling so difficult to let go?

Tonight at bedtime, all my fears were alleviated when my resilient children invented a new surfing game with their bean bags. I think they have moved on.Shortly after the surfing they climbed into their Daddy's lap for devotion.
Another reminder that we are growing. I promise Daddy is under there. :-)
They finally settled down for one of my favorite sights, a father lovingly planting the Word of God in his children's hearts.
These are sweet days.

4 comments:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

I think what makes getting rid of kid's things so hard is they become "touchstones" - living reminders of what was and what we kind of hate to let go. If we "still have it", somehow the fact that they've grown can be ignored somehow.

As the mother of 3 grown children, I find that when they get rid of things my grandchildren no longer have use for just as your animal chairs, I inwardly grown and long once more for another glimpse of those little people even though I know they have to grow and am proud of their accomplishments as they become "big people".

I feel your "twinge". Totally.

Love Being A Nonny said...

When they have their own children, it happens all over again!! Love the pictures!!

Unknown said...

i am SUCH a purger too! sometimes to a cault! i just don't want to hold very loosely to things, but it is diff with the kids isn't it? i LOVE the pics of the kids on daddy's lap...hilarious and awesome - on so many levels!

Abbi said...

sooo cute!! i love the pics on the bean bags!!!