Monday, September 08, 2008

What Matters?

I was having lunch with a friend of mine the other day and we were discussing how to truly love other people--including the 'strangers'-- in our life. Our conversation turned to how it is really things like calling someone by name that seem to make the biggest impact.

"Isn't it amazing how much little things sometimes matter?" I asked her (somewhat rhetorically.)
She looked me squarely in the face and said, "Everything matters."
It was a comment that I have been rolling around in my brain for a few weeks. Yikes! Everything matters? How exhausting and overwhelming! I already second guess and overanalyze my actions as it is...and now this?

I can think of a lot of small stuff in my life that I allow to become big stuff--and a lot of big stuff that I relegate to small simply because I don't want to deal with it. Yet, when I consider relationships I think her comment may be dead-on. I think it is often our off-handed behavior that can most seriously hinder (or support) our witness as people of faith. Who are we when we let our guard down or think no one is looking? In relationships it is the small things that seem to cement or destroy your connection.

I thought a lot about this at Disney this week. Goodness knows there were plenty of tired, stressed out parents dealing with overstimulated and exhausted, irrational children. I cringed at some of the conversations I overheard--both the tone and the language. I wondered how many people caught portions of my reactions and made snap judgments about me. If the game films were shown each night from all the portions of my day, which parts would make me ashamed?

I rejoice that God does not want our shame. He sent His Son to set us free. But I do think He wants us to take our jobs' seriously...to work for Him, not for what others think...and to repent AND accept His forgiveness and peace as we experience His new mercies each morning.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

I loved this in The Message. "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

The 'unforced rhythms of grace'...what a beautiful picture!

1 comment:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Matthew 5:14-15 says it all:
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

We are to be LIGHTS in the world! It's the old saying, if we were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict us? We may be the only Gospel people ever see.