Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Names Matter

One of the ways I experience God is through service to others. I find that it is very hard to sit around feeling sorry for yourself and your issues when you put yourself out in the world experiencing the things others are dealing with on a daily basis. Being others-centered reduces the amount of time I have for self-centeredness.

I find it very easy as a stay-at-home Mom to be isolated from the 'real world.' As I work to create a safe haven for our children, I want to be careful to not give them a false sense of the world. I don't want to overburden 4 year olds with the problems of the world, but I do want them to grow up comfortable being with people regardless of their backgrounds or status.

I recently felt led to spend a lunchtime volunteering at our downtown soup kitchen in order to combat some of my own materialism. I prayed that instead of 'hungry people' God would remind me they were people's children, parents, siblings. My one goal as I went in was to try to look each of the 200+ we served in the eye and speak to them. (More challenging than it sounds while serving casserole to a hungry crowd!) I actually was able to call a few of them by name...and could not help but notice they were a little startled to be addressed so personally.

As I was sharing this experience with a friend of mine she relayed this story by my old friend, Allen Levi.

I am reminded the importance of knowing people by name. From our grocery store clerk to the lady at the dry cleaners, I am actively trying to call those I encounter on a daily basis by name. Judging by their reactions, I think some of them find it a bit weird, most likely because they are unaccustomed to it.

I have a bad habit of getting busy during errands and, frankly, not wanting to make eye contact or conversation. It is terribly inefficient! Yet, I have been amazed at the difference it makes in my attitude and that of the person helping me, when I pause to consider their humanity. What a wonderful lesson to teach our children: the people we encounter, especially those who serve us, are important and should be treated with esteem.

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" Isaiah 43:1b

Names matter.

14 comments:

Kelly said...

This is soooooo true! I try to remember to treat the checker at Wal-Mart or the girl working the window at Sonic the same as I would the president of my company. Because we are all people and we all just want to be recognized.
I love your heart. You truly have a humble, servant's heart!

Carolina Mama said...

My Daddy always called everyone by name. Fortunately, I took after him particularly in this. It does make a difference. Takes a little practice. ;)

Anonymous said...

A beautiful reminder.

Erin said...

I love this!! It is so true. It is one of the things that first drew me to my husband. After a waitress introduces herself at our table, from that time on, he refers to her by name. He has a way of making people feel that they matter, sincerely. He has always challenged me in this area. Thanks to you for reminding me and challenging me, too!

Colored With Memories said...

okay, so last week i left your blog humming the tune of micah 6:8 and tonight i'll go to bed singing Isaiah 43...thanks!

HW said...

This is something I tried to teach my children very early. Starting at about age four I taught them to look a waitress in the eye and order their own meal; then each time she came back I'd whisper to them "look at her face and say 'yes, please'." Now, when I watch them order, from a table or at the counter, I see them look that person in the eye and speak with respect. It is good to see success as a parent.
I so agree with Kelly, above, about treating everybody with the same kind of respect. Eye contact and calling by name go such a long way in showing a person they matter to you.
Thank you for teaching your children these very valuable lessons.

jeni said...

Have you read "Same Kind of Different as Me?" It's really good. It's a story of two men, one rich, one homeless. It adds such a depth and insight into serving and what God can do in anyone's life. Very powerful.

Mindy said...

Thanks for the reminder. Names have been a big thing for me lately because having just moved to a new church three weeks ago with many, many more members than our last, I am trying desperately to learn and remember people's names.
I know that this isn't exactly what you were talking about and I appreciate the reminder that our children need to see us treat other's with respect!

Trudy said...

It's usually the cheesy salesmen that say your name. How nice it is to hear your name from someone who is genuine.

This is a good reminder!

Missy said...

This is something we have tried to teach our little girl since birth. Service is something we want to be a part of her daily life. Vi was in Mexico on a mission trip at just 5 months...she was an awesome partner in spreading the Gospel!

k and c's mom said...

Levi's story is amazing. I know how hard I work to learn the names of my students' parents each year. I know that if I can make a connection with the parents, they will become strong partners with me in the classroom. I want a jar full of names at the end of my life. I'm getting right on that...

The Andersons said...

I don't know how I stumbled across your blog, but I frequent it often. You are a true modern day Eve and emulate to all women how to do it all! My husband and I do not have any children yet, but hope to do as good of a job as you do.

Colored With Memories said...

Speech, time for a speech...I left a blog award for you on my post today!

Courtney said...

I absolutely agree! We are in youth ministry and it isn't often that some youth are treated with the respect of knowing their names...

They LOVE it when you remember them by name...with a group of 200 and new visitors each week it is hard at times, but so good!

I just got finished doing a volleyball camp...only 2 days, all girls I'd never met, yet the other guy working it with me had been doing it for 7 years with some of the same girls. I learned my girls' names by the second drill and it was neat to see the difference it made on my court. There is just something to be said about calling someone by name...they felt important...

I am sure that you are making such a difference by this one little change you are making...

thanks!