Monday, July 28, 2008

Expectancy

I have Romans 12 on my bathroom mirror. I think there are so many wonderful rules for living in that chapter. This morning I paused to linger on verses 11-12 "Don't burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant." (The Message)

What an encouraging passage as we head into these last few weeks of Summer! Be alert and cheerfully expectant. Like a bride-to-be, a pregnant mother, a child on their way to Disney.

I couldn't help but think about Ephesians 2:10, which has been rolling around in my mind for a few weeks now..."For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (NIV)

God has prepared work for us to do. Our job is to be alert for the opportunities He puts in front of us. I confess most mornings I wake up the opposite way: tired and in survival mode.

My children on the other hand are full of wonder and adventure. They trust that Mommy has an adventure in mind. Every morning over breakfast I get the question: "What are we doing today, Mommy?" How different would my life look if I lived it alert and cheerfully expectant? I am going to try and find out.

What do you have planned for today, Father?

7 comments:

LB said...

You always give such wonderful insight. Thank you for clarity on so many situations.

laurie said...

How true, I think I'll try it also! I needed some perspective tonight.

Courtney said...

oh how i needed to hear this. i am just exhausted and definitely in survival mode. praying those scriptures for myself tonight...and for all us mommies everywhere.

Beloved of the Lord said...

Good stuff!! Thanks for your encouragement.
Psalm 5:3
In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.

Missy said...

UH! What an awesome post! It could not be more applicable for my life right now! Thanks.

Pumita said...

I, too, appreciate your insight and the reframing that you consistently offer. I am anticipating a HUGE move at the end of the year, and I will put into practice this reminder to be cheerfully expectant of what the Lord is going to do through that.
Thank you!

R said...

beautifully said...thank you for reminding me not to unintentionally extinguish my childrens' sense of wonder.