Sunday, July 27, 2008

Lessons In Memory-Making

P has been asking for the last several days if he & his siblings could have a 'camp out.' This afternoon we decided that we would pitch our tents in the playroom and have a 'camp in.' Since part of the experience P was craving was 'marshmallows and hot dogs in da fire' we made do with the fire pit on our back patio.
As I snapped the pictures, then reviewed them tonight, I couldn't help but chuckle that they don't even begin to accurately portray the situation. Daddy returned this afternoon from 4 days in Lousianna with 30 pounds of fresh fish that had to be sealed and frozen quickly, clothes that needed to be washed and a family that was anxious for quality time. We pulled in to find that our lab's electric collar was malfunctioning and she had been on the loose--including a dip in the country club pool TWICE. (What is UP with our prodigal animals?)

Since it was already 6 (our typical dinner time) I decided to get the tents set up with the children while Daddy hastily worked on the fish. This proved to be a bit of a frustrating disaster. (Have you ever tried to pitch tents with very excited, hungry and tired small children as your helpers?)I broke a key fiberglass pole. One of the tents could not be found. Two children, in incidences seperated by mere minutes, urinated all over the bathroom floor because they waited too long to run to the potty. Ahh, quality family time!

When we finally got them outside to cook the hotdogs, the children insisted on doing it themselves. This resulted in dropped and charred dogs. The s'mores were a messy addition the church clothes everyone was still wearing since we had left there directly to retrieve Daddy from the airport. Did I mention it was 90 degrees and muggy?

I was annoyed that the fun, family memory I had envisioned was not going very smoothly. Yet, the photos would lead you to believe it had all been textbook and effortless. And you know what? It was a happy moment and a fun memory despite the fact that very little happened smoothly.
I was reminded of how often we are tempted to create 'ideal' memories for our children at the expense of teaching them how to deal with the reality of life. Real life has bumps, involves work and is rarely smooth and 'as planned.' I do not mean to imply I believe in burdening children with more 'truth' than they are equipped with the maturity to handle. I do, however, believe we do our children a disservice to make life too easy and idealized. We all know people who have been painfully disappointed with the reality of adulthood because of the fantasy life they grew up in.

I don't want to be so super serious and intense that I spoil childhood for my children. But I don't want to spoil them either. How do we balance idealism with realism when as parents we long to protect them from evil and give them every good thing?

Hmmm. I am opening a can of worms that I do not have all the answers for...but this is what I am pondering tonight.

Daddy repaired the broken fiberglass pole. The filthy clothes are soaking in the washer. The fish have been put away. My children are healthy, safe and loved by two parents who are deeply committed to one another. And our little people are still giggling with delight over their adventure.

These are truly trivial, momentary complications. Life (from an eternal perspective) is SO MUCH MORE than this. Why do we (I!) allow ourselves to get in such tizzies?

13 comments:

Sherri said...

That's a good question. I'm really trying to let the moments happen without micromanaging them as I sometimes tend to do. I'm a lot better at it that I once was, but still find myself sweating the small stuff.
Yes, it does look like a wonderful, perfect evening...exactly as your little ones will one day remember it!

Missy said...

I think the tizzy part is just as human as the call to have fun...and it looks like you killed two birds with one stone! The pictures are to cute!

Liz said...

You pose a great question. One that I had to ponder several years ago when my kids were a little younger (about the ages of yours). I finally realized that not everything has to hold a lesson. I was so determined that my kids learned some great spiritual truth from me every moment of every day that I was driving myself nuts. When it finally hit me that "not everything is a lesson", I was able to relax a little. Maybe that's where the lesson is for me, anyway....I hope it is some help for you, too.

Brandy Thixton said...

Those last three lines really helped me this evening. Here's to tizzi-less lives!

amanda said...

I love your blog and check in daily...I am still sharing the cardboard testimonies with anyone I can!! Here's a tip I found for doing smores with small kids with half the mess?? Use Fudge Stripe cookies in place of graham crackers and hersheys... just place the marshmallow in between 2 cookies.. tastes GREAT and is easier for tiny hands!!!

Amy said...

Each time I comment, I feel like I'm saying "I know exactly what you mean!!"

I love to scrapbook and if you were to look through those books you would see pictures and pictures of events that make our family life look perfect and as you say "textbook."

Not only do I try to create those ideal memories in the moment (which can be extremely frustrating), but I try to re-create them as I document our past. I must let go of this need to be "perfect." My children follow my example and that is NOT what I want them to learn. At all. I want my children's lives to be fun and happy and full of joy, but I also want them to be able to navigate those bumps in the real world with grace - because they have been taught how to do so. Thanks for opening up this can of worms - your words have helped so much.

k and c's mom said...

When my children were little (and I sometimes felt like I was running circles in a hamster wheel), I loved asking them the next day what their favorite part of the activity had been. Because that is the part that is "stuck" in their hearts and minds. I was always so amazed that it was rarely what I planned for it to be or what I thought it would be. It was usually some simple mercy like, "I liked it when you didn't rush me when I was pushing the buttons on that machine at the store." And I think the pictures you took DO show their hearts. (You should have someone take a shot of Mommy, too!)

Kara said...

Making memories is about having things not go exactly as planned...it's finding the solutions together (even though it can be very frustrating). I can imagine what it was like setting everything up with tired and hungry kids. I had to smile because it sounded like a scene from my house with my 3 little ones. Thank God at the end of the day, they are asleep and you can relax a little because morning is coming soon!

Alice said...

I bet your kids will remember it only as a happy time--that's the beauty of it...

Steph said...

I wonder the same thing most days! That is when I have to sit back, relax and see things through my children's eyes. I want to enjoy them and make memories...not have things perfect. It's a tough balance sometimes. I'm still learning. I pray a LOT, daily, by the minute!
Thanks for the reminder.

Kristin said...

I love, love, love this post! It's hilarious that you had to deal with the imperfections that you did; I'm sure your were incredibly frustrated at the time, but I love the reflections that you bring afterwards. And what a great point--kids need to know that things don't always go perfect and they need guidance in knowing how to deal with bumps along the way.

Katie F. said...

Daddy looks like he had more fun with the smores than K,R, and P! Glad Oreo came back.
Miss Katie

storey said...

love it! miss you guys! it wouldn't be real if it had all gone perfectly :)