Friday, July 25, 2008

Al Rescate, Mi Amigo!*

Oreo is MIA. Yesterday morning I saw her as I left for a few errands and she has not been seen since. As you can imagine, the children are struggling to understand her absence--and I am struggling to answer their questions.

It has not occured to them that she might be injured or worse. Instead, K just keeps asking, "Why did Oreo run away? Why doesn't she want to live wiff us anymore?"
As I struggled to explain that sometimes kitties like to go on adventures, P piped up, "I think she went to the jungle for a while."
Maybe.

As we crossed the 24 hour mark I put out a few fliers around the neighborhood. (She was too small for the collar we bought and is wearing no ID.) After dinner tonight the children and I went out for a walk to look for her. In a moment of unbridled 4 year old optimism K insisted she should bring a basket and toy for "when we find Oreo."


We did not find our little furry friend, but we did discover an injured feathered one in our neighbor's driveway. This little screech owl appeared to have a bum wing. Emmy's hubby donned his grilling gloves and shooed the owl into a small dog crate while the children excitedly watched.

We then took the owl to the home of a veteranarian friend who plans to nurse him/her back to health. House calls are definitely a fringe benefit of life in a small town!

We returned home from our animal rescue adventure and got ready for bed. As I was saying R's evening prayers I asked God to take care of Oreo while she was away from us. R interrupted me, saying, "and ask God to bring her back to us soon."
As I ammended my prayer to include this request and concluded with Amen a huge smile crossed R's face. "Yes! That means God is going to bring her back tomorrow."

What faith! The heart of a 4 year old is precious.

* From the lyrics of the Diego, Animal Rescuer song.

4 comments:

Miss Bennet said...

I will pray for your little kitty also! Our God is big enough for small things.

Tee said...

I hope you little kitty does return because you all love her, but also to strengthen your children's faith--praying for her return.

MtnGirl said...

I hope and pray your little kitty comes home soon!

Jenny said...

Hope Oreo makes it home safe and sound!