Thursday, July 10, 2008

Afternoon Tea

One of our favorite Summer afternoon activities is to have our 4pm snack as a tea party--complete with Mommy's favorite hot tea and snacks selected by the leader of the day. Who needs scones and crumpets when you can have popcorn and brownies?

You can imagine the children's delight when our friends invited us to lunch at a real Victorian tea room Tuesday.

The children had a great time selecting hats (and after lunch, gloves). The boys were very careful to select only hats that looked manly. Maybe in Russia, P...
Or in a Charle Chaplin film, R...
It was a very fun outing--and the highlight was the sugar cubes. I think each cup had a 4 cube minimum. Oh my!The final hat P selected seemed to be his favorite. You cannot tell from this picture but it was a ring of fabric. Maybe he was going for the Greek Olympian look...
And as for his poor bangs...those are completely my fault. Two weeks ago they looked a bit scraggly. Because I am tired of the good folks at SuperCuts making him look like an Army GI, I attempted to trim his hair myself. Now when I look at my precious boy, sometimes I see Jim Carey...
I am sorry, buddy. Mommy learned her lesson. I won't play with scissors anymore.

Maybe hats aren't such a bad idea afterall. :-)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The good news is that you have seen the error of your ways!

Too funny!

Karen said...

It just takes a little bit of practice. I cut all my kids' hair, and my husband's too. I never had any formal training, just watching and practicing. At least it grows back! :) Sure has saved us much money over the years!

Emmy said...

So funny! When my boys would get their bangs cut too short we would always call them "Lloyd Christmas" bangs! I love it! By the way... P's don't look like Lloyd's because at least he has some curl to them... not as straight! Your kids are So precious! You are a good Mom! : )

texasknights said...

What fun at the tea room. My girls LOVE outings like that. I thought I was doing good having a tea party once a week...you go!
I bought Sweedish ginger cookies for our tea party this week. Popcorn seems to appear around tea time here too.

Jennifer said...

Oh, texasknights..I hope I wasn't misleading...we don't do it everyday...just every week or so. :-)

Lori said...

I LOVED the first picture! What a sweet girl. What fun :)

Amy-neighbor said...

The hair thing is a riot! 1st of all he doesn't look like Jim Carrey, but the picture if JC is the funniest - so hilarious that you put that there! He looks fine -

laurie said...

I'm not going to be able to look at P with a straight face now--that is hilarious!!! Honestly, I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.

Phyllis said...

I was wondering how the trading spaces went??? I hope P had a good night!!! You all look like you had a wonderful time at the tea room. I had not even noticed the hair either...he is still precious!!! Have a great weekend!!!
Phyllis in Texas

texasknights said...

Oh good! I was VERY impressed . I am already in awe over your heart as a mom but tea every day? heehee!
Cyn

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

How cute! We love tea time, and those photos are great!

Anonymous said...

Tea is such a treat. We went to tea with Mrs. Claus during the holidays and it was just precious.

Aubrey said...

Just for the record...I think P looks adorable. Those big eyes make you miss the bangs all together. Course, that is just my opinion.

Shannon said...

LOL. The tea party pics are fabulous! I cannot wait to take my kids some day. And I didn;t even notice the bangs. You mentioned in a post above is it ok to still love JCrew and cute childrens clothing. Absolutely.
-Shannon in Austin