Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Races

There are certain stereotypical activities of true Southerners. As a lifelong resident of the deep South (except for one year spent in Virginia), I have engaged in most of them: Eating collard greens with pepper sauce, attending a Baptist revival, dressing my children in smocked clothing, believing that a hand-delivered casserole will solve anything, preferring to be barefoot all Summer long, catching lightening bugs in a jar, tying a string to a June bug's leg to watch him fly in a circle... I even (unfortunately) once wound up at a chicken fight by virtue of spending the night at someone's house as a child.

But tonight, I experienced a rite of passage for true redneck Southerners for the first time in my 33.5 years: I attended a race. This was nothing like Nascar. This was half mile mud oval track with souped up cars that looked like they had been salvaged from a junkyard. No windows, no headlights, some of the numbers on the sides were made out of electrical tape. The noise was incredible. These cars were flying, slipping, sliding, spinning.

And guess what? We had an absolute blast. Especially the boys (little and big)! They thanked us over and over for taking them to see the real race cars. Their excited chatter and twinkling eyes were such sweet balm for this Mama's soul.

Little R, who can be hard to please, was especially appreciative. As I was tucking him in tonight he said, "Mama, I love you even mucher than I can show you."

Culture comes in many different forms. This was definitely a new experience...but I have a sneaking suspicion this 'first' time, will not be the last.

And as for marking Southern traditions off my list, I think I'll stop here and skip chitlins and pickled pigs feet.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

very fun! good for you :) and I like the simplicity of your new site! trying to catch up still on my reading but the party looked fun!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Yes, but did you eat something fried while watching the race? And did you just break out your white shoes today?

(Those are about all the stereotypes this Northerner can throw out.)

Glad your forgoing the pigs feet. I helped produce a "Late Show" type variety show in college, and for a ratings grabber, we had our main host eat pickled pigs feet one night on the air. Ewww.

HW said...

I went to college in Arkansas and saw all of these "stereotypes" you mentioned. We even gave our daughter a "Southern" name by calling her two first names - because I love that.

I tell my girlfriend she dresses her little boy "Southern" and it turns out she gets many of his clothes from a friend in Georgia. Southerners dress their children in a more genteel way, which is so sweet.

I would have lost my mind at that race because I hate loud noise. My brothers have great memories of our nearby speedway because our dad took them there most weekends in the summer when we were children.

I love you mucher...that is going to be a new tag line at our house. So precious.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, I miss the south! Glad you had a good time!

MamaBear said...

I kept waiting for explanation of HOW you ended up at such a place! Would love to know the story behind your "redneck" outing, LOL. Did you eat friend Twinkies while you were there?

Lydia said...

Sounds like fun! And don't forget you need an ice cold Coke (or Co-Cola, as my Granddaddy says) to make it a true Southern summer event. Oh how I love the South! :)

Tee and Hubby said...

Love this post, being the southerner that I am. All you needed was a moon pie and RC Cola. I agree with you about the chitlins! Never shall they pass through my lips.

Pam said...

I used to love going to those races with my daddy growing up. I just told my hubby yesterday that I wanted to go to the races and the drive in movie this summer. I will skip the chitlins too.