Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Love Well

Today was our final Tuesday morning Bible Study until the Fall. As we were wrapping up a discussion on Philippians, we were asked to share with the group what we would like our epitaph to say (in 3-4 words). I was immediately reminded of a recent conversation with my friend Cabell about something written by Ken Gire. A portion from his book, The Reflective Life: Becoming More Spiritually Sensitive to the Everyday Moments of Life, is truly the best I have heard the passion of my life expressed. In many ways it is my heart's cry as I seek to live an intentional life. More of the essay can be found in the sidebar of Kelly's blog (it's her passion as well). Here are a few thought-provoking portions:

"Is the life I am living pleasing to God? The question will keep you up nights. And it should. As we pull the covers to our chin and settle into our pillows, that's the question that should bring our day into the presence of God for His scrutiny. Did the life I lived today please you, God?

St. John of the Cross once said that "at the evening of our day we shall be judged by our loving." As we look back over our day, what we have done is not as important as how we have done it. Better to do little with much love than much with little love. For without love, whatever we do will be dismissed with a judicial wave of heaven's hand as just so many trivial pursuits (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

So it's the end of the day, and each of us is lying in our bed, reflecting. Have I loved well? Has love been the beating heart pulsing through all my activities? Can it be heard in all my conversations? Seen in my eyes? Felt when other people are in my presence? Was the truth I spoke today spoken in love? Were the decisions I made today based in love? Were my reactions? My devotions?

Have I loved well? If we can answer yes to that question, it is enough.It may not be enough for our employer. It may not be enough for our fellow workers. It may not be enough for all the carpools and committees and other things on our calendar. It may not even be enough for us. But it is enough for God."

- Ken Gire, "The Reflective Life: Becoming More Spiritually Sensitive to the Everyday Moments of Life"


There is not much I can add to that.

5 comments:

Christi said...

I am currently reading this book (I found Kelly's blog, and read the portion of the essay on her site.) It describes what I'm trying to do as well.

elizabeth said...

That BS was good and thought provoking. I liked your, "Loved well" comment that was made aware to you through this book. Sounds like a really good read.

After yesterdays meeting, I, out of curiosity, googled real life epitaphs and found some really good ones, sad ones, and down right funny ones. The one that should be funny (and it kind of is) is also sad because really true. It said, "Here lies an atheist. All dressed up and no place to go."

I'm not sure what mine will say but I KNOW IT WILL NOT say this!

Good Post.

E

a portland granny said...

Thanks for the "heads up" on what looks like a wonderful, thought-provoking book and author.

I'm sure you enjoyed your study in Philippians! It has been my favorite book since I was a girl. I did a Precepts study in Phil. three years ago and did so very much enjoy that study!

I so admire the depth of your inner person, and your openness in sharing yourself to all of us. I wish I knew you personally!

Borbe Bunch said...

HI Jen,
I am smiling at your funny end to a great Mother's Day! Oh, the memories and what we do for our little ones!!
God bless you,
Liz

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Am I allowed to say "Amen" if I really mean it? Because after a day like today, I need the reminder. Whew!

I have Philippians laminated and hanging on my shower wall, by the way. My original intent was to memorize it. I've since rethought that, since raising kids is currently frying my brain crispy. But it sure is great truth to wake up to each morning.