Saturday, May 10, 2008

Identity Crisis

Last night I was in a social situation where I behaved badly. My tongue was on fire and I sinned in the name of being funny. I spent most of the day today feeling ashamed of my behavior. It was uncalled for and I knew better. 

Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
James 3:5-6 (NIV)

I confessed my sin to God and to a couple of close friends who were with me and thereby heard my mean spiritedness. I prayed for forgiveness. Yet, it didn't seem to be enough. All day I kept telling myself that I was a snob and a gossip---over and over and over. 

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

I John 1:8-10 (NIV)


Late this afternoon I felt the Spirit speak to my heart. Stop identifying yourself by your sin. You did bad things. You made poor choices. But that is not who you are. Your identity is defined not by what you do, but by the fact that you are a child of mine. You are a sinner, but I died for those sins. You have confessed them. I have forgiven them. Learn from this and move on.

I am not sure if this makes sense to anyone but me, but it was so freeing to be reminded that my sin does not define me...my Savior does. 

7 comments:

dawn said...

Thanks for this post. I had the exact thing happen to me today at my son's baseball game. I let my words get away from me. I appreciate this reminder. It would be a shame for me to keep reliving my words and feeling guilt about them once I have been forgiven. It's like denying what Christ did for those sins.

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Been there, done that, know the feeling - that awful feeling. The important thing is the realization of what has been done, confessing and repenting - literally turning away. Peter denied Christ THREE times - and once that cock crowed, he was hit with remorse and wept bitterly.

The difference between Judas and Peter was repentance - Judas was consumed by his guilt and didn't look to the Father. Peter did.

Leah said...

It makes so much sense to me. There is no greater compliment you can give me than to tell me I'm funny. However, it sometimes seems that my sense of humor is at the expense of others. At the time it is great to have everyone in stitches, but later I feel so guilty and embarrassed. Thanks for sharing.

GE is me said...

Thank you Holy Spirit for speaking to us & reminding us of things that we know, but forget. Thank you that we are defined by the fact that we have accepted Christ as our Savior, & not by our pasts or our present sins.

How absolutely incredible, wonderful & freeing & yes, it all made sense to me. Thank you for sharing.
btw- HAPPY MOM'S DAY!
-Gail

Tee said...

GREAT post! I so identify with your situation. Thanks for the reminder of who we really are. :-)

Paulette said...

We have def all been here J. You did all the right things, you are right you are forgiven and very honest. Thankyou for the reinder of we are all sinners and saved by Grace!!
God uses everything we do and he used this as well. Thanks for being so honest.
Happy wonderful Mothers day to you dear lady!!

MamaBear said...

Oh, can I ever relate. My tongue can get away from me faster than a racehorse out of the starting gate. The bigger the audience, the faster it seems to get away.

Thanks for the reminder that we are not defined by our transgressions but by the One who paid the price for them.

May we all learn and move on.