Friday, April 18, 2008

Jean

Eleven months ago, our precious family friend Ms. Jean was struggling with cancer. I wrote this post last May as my heart ached for the battle she was fighting. I will never forget my phone conversation with her when she said, "Don't worry. I will be walking in next year's survivor lap." Her faith in that goal moved me.

Tonight our family stood on the sidelines at our local Relay for Life and cheered for Ms. Jean as she led that survivor's lap. Tears of joy were shed, hugs were shared and smiles beamed as the children chanted, "Go, Ms. Jean! Go, Ms. Jean!"

As I thanked God for His faithfulness and healing of my friend I couldn't help but think of all those luminaries representing others who were not healed. I am reminded that God is our loving, faithful, sovereign God--when He does what we want Him to and when He doesn't.

5 comments:

S.Good said...

Way to go Ms.Jean!!

Amy said...

It's so hard to completely turn things over to Him; but without a doubt it is by His will that our lives revolve! Great job Ms. Jean!

HW said...

My dad lost his battle with cancer today. Today, my daughter's birthday and his own anniversary.

And yet, I rejoice at the victory your friend has found over this horrible disease. A victory for one is a victory for all of us who have been touched by it.

Trudy said...

Mighty Ms. Jean! Thanks be to God - so happy for all of you.

Sunshine said...

Wow - so awesome! The day after Christmas my sister discovered that she has cancer. She just had surgery to remove the tumor and will resume chemo and begin radiation this Monday. I am SO happy your friend was able to walk today - may she rejoice completely in Him!

What you said is SO true - God is good, loving, faithful - He never changes. Sunshine