Thursday, May 31, 2007

Ms. Jean

I am sad tonight. Our sweet family friend, "Ms. Jean," is sick. She is a true bright spot in the world. She is under 5 feet tall and full of more joy, laughter and encouragement than anyone else in my life. She loves the Lord--and it is so obvious in her life. Ms. Jean brings sunshine everywhere she goes, including to her job at the the hospital. She is an occasional babysitter for us (one of only 2 non-family members I trust to tuck them in at night) and our whole family adores her. She is like Mary Poppins...you never know what she will pull out of her bag. Even her voice oozes kindness. K thanks God every night for "Ms. Jean and pizza," in that order.

Last month after discovering a lump in her neck, Jean was diagnosed with cancer in her tonsils and underwent surgery. Through it all to this point (biopsy, shocking diagnosis, Mediport, feeding tubes, major neck surgery) SHE has been the one encouraging those around her. She talks of her survivor lap at next year's Relay for Life.

Last week, she started her first round of chemotherapy. Today, she was going to come by and visit with us (the kids & I made cupcakes and got balloons to celebrate her birthday) but instead she was admitted to the hospital. When I spoke to her today and she described the effects the chemo was having on her body...when I could hear the pain and discouragement in her voice...it really effected me.

My heart hurts to see someone I care about in so much pain. I am thankful she is in the hospital, where she can be taken care of and her pain can be managed. My heart is broken for my sweet, precious friend. I wish life didn't involve hurt. When I asked Ms. Jean what we could do for her today, she said, "Just love me" through tears. We do, Ms. Jean, we do! All 5 of us are praying.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
Please give Jean our love, hugs and prayers. She has always been so wonderful to the kiddos not to mention the wonderful kindness she has shown to the grands.
Love,
Mom

Pam said...

I will definitely add Mrs. Jean to my prayer list tonight. She sounds like a precious friend. May God comfort you, too, Jen.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Praying for Ms. Jean!

Alison said...

praying....

Renee said...

It's never easy to watch someone who is so dear to you suffer. I'll be praying for all of you.

Perri said...

Jen, I'll be praying that Ms. Jean comes out of these treatments, well and full of more spunk than ever.

God is awesome and so powerful. Anything is possible.

Praying for you all as you wait and watch.