Tuesday, April 15, 2008

He Sees

This morning after breakfast I was trying to get the children settled with a video so I could shower, pack lunches and get dressed. The boys were with me in the family room. I assumed K had found something to play with in another room.


As I walked back towards the kitchen, I heard mumbling and whining. She was all alone in the small corridor between the kitchen and the dining room--splayed out on the floor, face down, wiggling around, letting out a quiet, fake cry and saying, 'No one is seein' me.'


Apparently, she had slipped when she and her brothers were racing to the family room a minute or so prior. She was not hurt, but she wanted a little sympathy. When no one was around to provide it, she decided to wait. And whine. And wallow. (Before I sound cruel and heartless, let me emphasize: She was not hurt.)


I watched her for a couple of seconds, intriqued by the psychology of the situation and weighing my options as far as how to respond. I think her words were what struck me the most: "No one is seein' me."


What a lonely, pitiful, heartbreaking thought. I fell. I am sad. I am embarrassed. I am alone. "No one is seein' me."


She paused her theatrics long enough to peek around. When she saw that I was standing over her, watching, we both erupted in giggles-- a mixture of relief and embarassment. (She was kind of overreacting, afterall.) But, someone was 'seein' her.' Not just any someone, the someone who loves her deeply and unconditionally, meets her needs, provides safety and protection. That someone was right there.


And you know what? I would have intervened had she truly needed me, but in that moment I think what she and I both needed most was that lesson.


My theology may be all wrong here, but I loved the image of myself, like K, sometimes wallowing, whining and waiting for someone to see me. Feeling alone, embarassed, sad, whatever and forgetting that I am always seen by THE ONE who made me and sustains me.


Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31


Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart feel lonely?
And long for heaven and home?
When Jesus is my portion
A constant friend is He
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches over me.
-"His Eye is On the Sparrow"



May we all remember that we are seen by our Father.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you for that. What a beautiful reminder. I love the story about Hagar in the Bible when she meets the "God who Sees"-so comforting that He never takes His eyes off of us!

Jackie said...

That is a beautiful story! And that is one of my absolute favorite songs...so much truth to it.

Erin said...

Totally needed this today! Beautiful post! Loved it! Thanks for the insight!

Lori said...

One of my favorite names of God is El Roi...The God who sees me. It is found in Gen. when Hager is running with Ishmael in Gen 16. I LOVE knowing that I serve El Roi...The God who sees me.

Thanks for the reminder.

GE is me said...

Wow, I don't always read your blog every day, but what wonderful insight when I do. You have such an incredible way of writing & sharing how our Father God teaches you through your children & life lessons.
Thank you for your transparency.
May God continue to richly bless you & your family.
-Gail

Pam said...

I agree . . . Wow!

Loved this illustration. How often I have been with K on the "no one is seein' me" ride.

Loneliness tends to be the thing that has eaten me up the most in this most recent place God has planted us.

Thanks for the reminder that "He Sees". I needed that yesterday and today both.

Melene@Sing For Joy said...

Oh how I LOVE that song. What a great post. I love how K in her own way, realized what was going on without you having to say anything. Keep up the great work!

http://jmeg.typepad.com

Julie said...

I loved this illustration!! I think I am just like your daughter though, not realizing someone is watching and whining!

ivegot5 said...

Again...you speak directly to a lesson I learned the hard way this week. Thank you so much. God again has used your blog to hammer home something I really needed to learn.