Sunday, April 27, 2008

Without Expectation

This morning in Sunday School we were discussing marriage. Specifically, how God alone is capable of meeting all our needs and any expectations of another person somehow filling them will only lead to disappointment. Our teacher made a comment that I have been reflecting on all day, "If I am looking to God alone to meet all my needs, I am free to serve others without expecting reciprocity."

I really like the beauty and simplicity of that thought...Love without expectation. Think of what relationships would look like if people entered them attempting to love and serve another without being blinded by their own needs. How my marriage would improve! How my attitude about motherhood would be better! How much nicer my friendships would be!

I like to spend Sunday nights thinking about the week to come. Tonight I am thinking about how to invest in my relationships without expectation this week. My eyes were drawn to 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (NIV)
"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."

What an amazing challenge and promise as this weary Mommy looks forward to another week! God will supply my needs, so that I may sow love generously within my family and my community. He is able to make His Grace ABOUND in me. Awesome.

4 comments:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

This is a fabulous thought - re: expecting another person to fulfill our needs when God is the one to do that! In our Bible Class this morning (on Renewing our Passion for Christ), we were discussing that love is not passion but love is necessary in passion (passion as in being a Christian - not "romance"). And that passion without love is "without profit" - as in useless. So your thoughts about outcome expectations vs. doing what we know to be right "and then some more" really hit a cord with our lesson as well. How often do we do things "with agenda" vs. doing them because we are loving, obedient children of God who want to please the Father? When pride of "face or place" is removed, we indeed have clarity.

Christi said...

I've never really thought about this, this way. I mean, I know technically, that the Lord supplies our every need. But I've never thought about it in this context.

Thanks for giving me some food for thought this morning!

Erin said...

I needed this! Thanks! I am quite guilty of thinking of my own needs before serving others ~ especially the ones that I love the most!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Awesome indeed! I needed this. Thanks!