Thursday, January 10, 2008

Missing Naps

Dropping naps is catching up to us.

Yesterday the children were exhausted and had the attitudes to prove it. So, the boys took afternoon naps and although I am only on page 32 of my new parenting book, I decided to start implementing their tactics. There was shock and horror among my offspring that I was calmly administering immediate consequences like being removed from the table, but it was VERY effective.

The philosophy is not that different from what I had already been doing, but for the addition of empathy before every consequence. The emotion I have used before most consequences up to this point in my parenting has been frustration. Changing that to "it stinks that you can't finish this game, how disappointing" as you remove them has helped me and my children.

I am now keeping the book on my front seat and reading it in carpool line and at red lights!

The children slept until 7:20 this morning: Hallelujah! The downside is that P, my regular rooster, slept so hard he forgot to wake to use the potty.

He also had a bad dream around 3am. As I went into his room to comfort him he said through sniffles, "Mommy? I dweamed K & R were not he-ya any-mo-wa."
I assured them they were safe and sound in their beds and he exhaled a large sigh and fell right back asleep.

Sweet, sweet boy!

11 comments:

Joni said...

Consistency with consequences has always been effective in our household, but I don't think we have always preceded discipline with statements of empathy. It makes perfect sense, and one that I will definitely implement. Thanks for passing along the great advice!

Kelly said...

Yeay for you getting some extra sleep! :-)
You are so good about reading books and always looking for better parenting methods. I admire you so much and hope to be like you one day!

MamaBear said...

I'm on page 108 and saw a huge difference in only 24 hours with my 3 year old. I love that I can apply the same principles (with different consequences) with my 15 month old. She's at that age where she's starting to test limits and I simply remove her or the object after the dose of empathy.

I printed out key points and posted them throughout my house so I could constantly be reminded of what I need to do. Frustration was also my first response and staying calm is what I need the most help with.
Thanks for sharing your take on L&L - the timing couldn't be more perfect for my family!

p.s.
When you get to the part about enforeable statements I would love to hear any that work for you when dealing with sibling stuff.

keri said...

sounds like a great book. someone may have already suggested this...but do you take your kids potty when you go to bed? we started doing this with ella...so around 11pm we would just get her up and take her...she pretty much slept through the whole thing, but it helped her last til morning without having to get up and go pee pee in the middle of the night. maybe you can try that if you haven't already.

love those paper dolls below!

Matt and Amy Snow said...

What a great way to multi task--carpool and red lights! Too funny! The book sounds very helpful and fresh ideas are always needed around here. :)
The paper dolls have been a big hit around here. My crew has been sick all week and are finally feeling like more than tv/books. Thanks for the great idea. Did it scare you for them to sleep until 0720? I always feel like I need to check on them if I don't see faces by 0630. (that doesn't mean I always DO check on them that early---what if I wake them up? :) )

Pam said...

So glad you're getting to sleep in a little bit.

If I see you around town, I will know why you're looking down at all the red lights : )

Great use of time. I need to do the same.

Praying for continued creativity during the waking hours!

Erin said...

What sweet friends they are! That has to make your heart smile!

MaryBeth said...

Glad to hear that implementing some L&L ideas is working out for you. Doesn't it just touch your heart when they worry about each other like that??

Fran said...

What a sweet "baby" you have! This too shall pass momma. I hated these changes though! :)

twiceasnice said...

Hey jmom....there was a time, when I did nap one day, two days no nap, nap one day, two days off...it helped with the transition. As a multiple mom too, my girl was ready to stop her nap earlier then my boy. Good luck, love your website and the sweet things your kiddos say...from Austin, Texas...jenni

Tara said...

The boys, especially W., need a nap about once a week to keep them on track. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but it makes a huge difference!!!