Monday, July 16, 2007

Check Ups

Several months ago, after 2 1/2 years of weekly services, P was released from Occupational, Physical and Speech Therapy. He had made remarkable progress. Since he had been receiving therapy of some variety since he was 5 months old, his therapists & I agreed to give him a hiatus to just let him be "a kid." We were hopeful his siblings and the children in his Mother's Morning Out class would challenge him in a fun and healthy way.

Many major developmental milestones are marked by a child's third birthday, so the time had come for us to have him re-evaluated. Last week, the physical therapist who first worked with him as an infant gave him a once over. Today, it was the occupational therapist and the speech therapist's turn.

The verdict: While P is doing remarkably well, he needs to start receiving weekly services again in all 3 areas (OT, PT, ST) It is an interesting scenario because quantitatively he is "doing" all of the things necessary to achieve the milestones. P's issue is predominantly qualitative. The way he is performing several skills is awkward. He is getting the job done, but without a great deal of efficiency or finesse. (I can relate to that as a parent.)

In a few weeks when preschool starts back up, we will once again add 3 hours of therapy to our weekly routine. I am not disappointed. I am relieved. I am so thankful to have an opportunity to proactively address these issues before they become real hindrances to his development. He is young enough that his peers don't tease him yet. I feel peace that we are doing everything we can to help him be the best "him" he can be.

One of the greatest pieces if advice I have received as a mother came on the day his therapist and I had a heart to heart chat about his developmental delays. She reminded me that no one on this Earth is perfect. We all have delays and challenges. Some are physical like P's, while some are emotional, academic, social, psychological or spiritual. We all have them. It was such a great reminder. P is not "different" in a negative sense...he is very much like the rest of us. In many regards, P is blessed that we can see his delays...because in recognizing them, they can be addressed.

It sounds much like our hearts. Most of us aren't really fooling anyone. We may try to cover up our weaknesses and handicaps, but those close to us know our areas of greatest need. Our God certainly does. When we are honest with ourselves and our Creator the work can begin to restore our lives...to help us be the best "us" we can be. Just as God designed us!

10 comments:

Amy said...

This post really spoke to my heart. My son also has developmental delays (he is almost 4)and I couldn't agree more with everything you said. I am also grateful to be addressing his needs so early. He is truly a blessing to us and we always try to focus on his strengths keeping in mind that nobody is perfect and we all have "special needs." Thank you for insights - I recently began reading your blog and I really enjoy it.

Liz said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. First in response to Sunday's post-Your posts have been very inspirational and have lately made me reflect on my purpose in life, and how important God is. When reading your blog I have never had the impression you were depressed. Thank you for sharing your beautiful and honest writing.

In response to todays post- I feel I can totally relate to your feelings about your son's therapy.
My son Dominic has mild CP and has therapy during the week. As a Pediatric nurse I believe the same thing the therapist told you during your heart to heart chat. I am so blessed to be able to have the time and resources to give my son the therapy he needs, especially when he is young. Of course I still worry, but what would motherhood be without worry!

Thanks again for your inspirational writing.

Liz

Kim said...

Hey Jenn, I know P will do great in rehab. We are so blessed to have these type of services available. My daughter was preemie too, so I can relate to watching for those milestones.

On a completely different note, I've tagged you as a Rockin' Girl Blogger because I love reading about your parenting journey and because you inspire me to draw closer to God. Thanks!

Kim said...

OOPS. I forgot to leave the link in the previous comment! Sorry.

http://ispeakbeanish.wordpress.com/2007/07/16/im-a-rockin-girl-blogger/

GM's Mom said...

Jen!

I read your blog daily and though I haven't commented I wanted you to know that you are an incredible mom and woman of faith. I thank you for sharing and for not only inspiring me but for helping me realize I am human and it is ok to have all kinds of feelings when you are a mom. I too have nominated you for the Rockin' Girl Blogger Award!

Heidi

MamaBear said...

Wow. You inspire me to look at my daughter's speech difficulties in a whole new way. I'm blessed immensely EVERY time I stop by your corner of the blogging world. Thanks.

Alison said...

All I can say is thank you Jen!!!

Renee said...

I am noting this post for future reference. We are no stranger to therapy either. This post will give me great encouragement in the days ahead. Thanks so much!

kristi said...

Yes, it is very nice to hear it put that way!

Mandy said...

P is such a beautiful little boy! And I think that God made a very good choice when he choose you to be his mother.

We are all different here on earth but in God's eyes we are all brother's and sister's in life... I pray that all children will see P as their brother and treat him with the same patients and respect that God always treats us with.