Friday, June 15, 2007

Old Friends

Big Mama's post about her college dorm days was a perfect precursor to my adventure yesterday. I drove to Birmingham for a girls' lunch in honor of the birthdays of two of my dearest friends. As we sat enjoying our childfree, grown-up meal and gabbing our jaws off, Daree pointed out that August will mark 15 years since we met in our freshman dorm at the University of Alabama.

I absolutely remember the first time I met each of them. The thought of all the life we've been through together in the last 15 years is amazing--engagements, weddings (Daree & I even went along as the witnesses when Emily eloped), pregnancies (I was in the hallway outside the delivery room when Daree's oldest was born), deaths, infertility, new jobs, new homes, successes, failures, laughter, heartache...the list could go on and on. As a result of our friendship I have experienced sushi, Nancy Griffith, Widespread Panic, lots of roadtrips, amazing memories and a sweet bond of friendship I'll always treasure.

A lot of life happens in 15 years. Yet, yesterday as I was cruising along the highway to Alabama with music blaring and singing loudly, it was like the old days. (Except instead of a zippy Acura, I was in a crumb-laden, carseat-carrying, filthy Yukon. And our conversation over lunch was infinitely deeper than Days of Our Lives and plans for Spring Break.) I wanted to go back in time and whisper in the ear of that 17-year-old me just how important those cute girls would be in the years to come.

Our time together was precious. To sit around a table and talk about life and the Lord with women you love so much is a rare and treasured gift. I am so blessed to have a handful of wonderful friends God has placed in my life who've been around for 15-20 years. Truly they are a part of who I am and where I have come from. Thank you, God, for the gift of friendship!

9 comments:

Big Mama said...

Amen, Jen. I don't know what I'd do without my girlfriends, but I feel certain it would involve large therapy bills.

I'm so glad y'all had a great time. You're all just darling.

Jenna said...

What a wonderful post! Those friendships are so important and bring so much joy to life. Sharing such close bonds with friends that see you through so many experiences is especially sweet. I hope my college friends and I will always be as close as ya'll are!

Hope you and yours have a wonderful weekend :)

Dennis, Rose and our Clan said...

So glad you had a great time with friends! I just wanted to say I have read for months and It is so nice to read on how you are all doing. I found you blog from my nieces friends blog.

Keep it up!

Garrett Robinson said...

I bet you lived in that nasty-yet-so-much-fun Tutweiler too.

Erickson 5 said...

Love this post! I have some wonderful girlfriends too! We are playing a whole WEEKEND away this summer and I can't wait!
Thanks for sharing this.
Nicole

Perri said...

Here's to great friends and Nanci Griffith - two of my favorite things in the worlds!

Ashley said...

Thanks for reminding me! Those friendships are precious and I too have been so blessed by the girls I went to school with at A&M! We don't get together as often as we would like, but phone calls, blogs and emails have helped the times apart! Happy you were able to escape and relive for just a moment in time! Have a blessed weekend!

Ashley in TX

D said...

I'm pretty much a lurker but read your blog every day. Next week I get to see 6 of my high school friends; and a couple of them I haven't seen in 15 years. We've all known each other for over half our lives and it just amazes me that we still get giddy at the thought of seeing each other after all this time.

Friends are such an amazing blessing. I am so glad you got to meet up with and reconnect with yours.
D

Michelle said...

What a wonderful day! Y'all look 17 still. Those days are just amazing life check days, aren't they???