Friday, June 22, 2007

Memories from Maine


Family: Watching the children interact with their cousins was truly delightful. Because all the children are the same age in our house, they don't often get to be the "big kids" like they were for baby Avital, or the "little kids" following older children like they did with Isaac & Orly. It was so interesting to watch them in these roles. The kids ADORE their cousins and had a terrific time playing with them.


Food: Aunt Amy is an incredible cook. Truly, everything she makes is fantastic. My clothes fit more tightly by the end of the trip. This morning, I stepped on the scales and confirmed my suspicions...I gained 3 lbs in 5 days!


One of the most memorable things about our trips to Maine over the years is enjoying Lobster Bakes on the beach. Andy & Amy live in a terrific little town that is off the beaten path for tourists. Therefore, some of their friends and neighbors are lobstermen. They are literally able to call Pearl the night before and place an order that shows up at their door the following day...fresh from the ocean. The children all tried the lobster, then filled up on hotdogs roasted over open flame on the beach. They also experienced S'mores for the first time. Predictably, they were at hit!

Rest: The best thing about vacation was the absence of "responsibility" (and cell phone coverage). While the children napped, I read and enjoyed my own little siesta. What a treat!

Simplicity: Hanging clothes on the line was one of the most restful experiences of the week. It brought back such memories of running through the sheets on my Grandmama's clothes line as a child (and being mortified at my great aunt's big panties hanging out in the wind for all the world to see.)
Togetherness: There was a great deal of wallowing, unsolicited "I wuv you"s and even a couple of spontaneous exclamations of "You my best fwiend!"
New Experiences (through the eyes of children): Watching them try to learn to jump rope, eat crab and lobster, "help Daddy" roast hotdogs and marshmallows, and learn about buoys (K calls them "gooeys") and enjoy the variety of activities in Maine was a real treat.

Time with my husband: Even amidst the chaos, the quality time was such sweet medicine to my soul.


Noticeably absent are pictures from the airport. They did really, really well...but juggling a camera to document the process was far more than this weary Mommy could bear! As we took off from Bangor yesterday all three of the children were waiving out the windows and exclaiming, "Bye Maine! Bye Bye, Maine! I wuv you, Maine! BYE!!!" At least most of our fellow passengers found it cute...

Now it is back to life and responsibility...and LAUNDRY, oh my!

16 comments:

Renee said...

The solitude sounds heavenly!!! Does your sister-in-law live right there off the ocean? How wonderful to have a place like that for kids to grow up...and for weary mama's to rest. :)

Anonymous said...

J-
LOVE the pictures from the trip. Sounds like you had a great time!! I cannot get over how much K looks like your sister in the close up of her with the smore!! Hope all is going well getting settled back in. Can't wait to see you SOON!!

Love-
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Welcome home JMom! Thanks for all the pictures. (hope there's even more yet coming!!!) :-) Beautiful shots!

So glad that you could get away for awhile from 'regular life'. And there's nothing more special than getting cousins together.

And may I be so bold as to say: 3 lbs ain't bad! I'm sure with that much lobster around I could have topped ya'!

Chris in Canada

Jenna said...

I am so enjoying seeing all these great pictures! Ya'll are just the most gorgeous family...must be all that love and fun shining through :)

Glad it was a great trip!

Andi said...

How fun- Looks like a place to relax, for sure. the picture of you and R and the kids on what looks like maybe a playground in too funny. He looks like he is about 12 feet tall!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful smiles and pictures!! Looks like lots of fun was on hand. D in NC

Krista said...

So glad the trip was wonderful! :)

Anonymous said...

Jenmom,

Love,love,love all the pictures. You captured some priceless moments. One day they'll be so glad you did. Maine is the place I have always wanted to visit...Hopefully I will soon. Bye Bye NC....Helwo Maine!:)

angela conklin
a friend thru your entries

Heidi Kellems said...

Beautiful Pictures! Maine looks quite lovely!!

Whitney said...

Glad you had a great trip and arrived home safely. What sweet memories to cherish always!

Whitney

Keri said...

Hi, Jmom,

I'm one of those 800+ guilty of lurking here daily! :( (It made me sad to think that you fear people are judging you when they visit but don't comment. Rest assured that this reader, at least, identifies and agrees nearly 100% with what you write. I guess I just usually don't feel I have anything worthwhile to add to the discussion!)

Anyway, the reason I'm finally delurking is to compliment you on your photography skills. Obviously, it helps to have such photogenic subjects, but I have always noticed that you have such a great eye for capturing the most touching, powerful, or just plain beautiful images. I'm jealous! :) Any chance you were a professional photographer at some point in your life? These pics from Maine belong in a photography book! Just gorgeous!

Anyway, I'll try not to be shy about commenting in the future. I suppose it's always better just to say, "I agree" or "Thanks for that" rather than say nothing at all...

Keri Ann

primarycolors said...

Wonderful pictures, J! We wuv Maine too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing! What wonderful memories and beautiful pictures. You have completely inspired me to visit the east coast. My in-laws are headed to Maine in September & after seeing your pics, informed her this morning that I completely understood her love for that area of the country!

I am avid reader of your sweet, precious blog! You truly inspire me in so many ways....

keri said...

love all the photos (especially the one of you running with the kids in the previous post)...it seems like you captured your trip so well. it makes me want to jump on a plane and go visit maine! such great memories for you guys!!

Totallyscrappy said...

I'm so glad you had a great time. I'm impressed that you even squeezed in a few moments to enjoy some husband time.
The state of Maine must thank you for your advertisement. Maybe someday I'll get there...

Alycia said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! I love your pictures and they bring back such happy memories from my summers in Maine as a child! I loved Lobster bakes too! Yum! So happy you are back!