Saturday, June 30, 2007

Diving into Summer

Today we experienced an unexpected milestone: K jumped off the diving board. By herself. Without swimmies. Did I mention she cannot swim? Or that until a few weeks ago she refused to let her face get wet in the bathtub?

We are very careful around the water and would have never, ever suggested this to her. Spontaneously, while we were playing in the shallow end she announced that she wanted to "try." I was quite sure it was a passing sentiment and that the easiest way to get her through it was to let her go up on the board and make her attempt. So, Daddy jumped in the water and treaded below the board. She chickened out the first time, but a few minutes later declared she was ready to try again. Although we were skeptical, we let her remove her swimmies and go back down to the deep end for another shot. (Floaties aren't allowed in the deep end at our pool.)

Daddy went off with her the first time. They repeated this twice, then she decided she was ready to go alone. Again and again and again.



After this little taste of freedom, she refused to put her swimmies back on her arms. I am SO thankful we start swim lessons Monday!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness,
I am having heart attacks for you.
Good job K. You scare me to death
Love,
Mom/BeeBee

Ashley said...

Oh my that is exciting! Glad Daddy was there to help out! Best of luck on swimming lessons, I taught them when I was in HS and the little ones were my favorite! Blessings,
Ashley from TX

Leslie said...

Good NIGHT. I found myself holding my breath...and the video FROZE when she reached the end and then again when she jumped!

Jack is fearless in the water...puddles, potties, pools, the ocean, tub, spit...you name it. He loves it. But if you put him in the shower he climbs you like a cat.

Good job, K!

:) ♥

Anonymous said...

AWESOME sweet K! I'm so proud of her. R and P are going to be doing it before you know it. I bet they will be swimming by the end of next week. A and D have already said that they want to go visit the trio when we get back in town. We miss y'all terribly.
...Marianna

keri said...

WOW! so impressive!!

Perri said...

I have pictures of Andi jumping off the high dive at about 22 months. I think they are fearless at that age, while we are treading water underneath doing all the praying. Andi grew up to love the water and was a lifeguard for 4 years.

Way to go, K!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing your husband's voice cheering K on! Beautiful!

Chris in Canada

Aunt Boo said...

Way to go K!!! I am so excited for you!!!

We love you!
Aunt Boo

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Yeah for K!! Thanks for sharing this clip...so adorable.

laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laurie said...

K is going to blow them away at swim lessons! We have a crazy week in transition and then will be in town on Friday. We are looking forward to seeing you guys!

Erin said...

That is wonderful!! Thanks for sharing the footage!! Precious!

Jenn Cav said...

Yeah K!! And YEAH for Daddy being there to catch! I showed my 2 1/2 year old the video and said, "Look at this big girl! Do you want to do this one day?" and he said, "No, I wike the baby pool." But if K got over her fear, I guess he will one day too. :)

Andi said...

How sassy is she?! Good for her and you- nothing like a brave kid to keep you on your toes!