Monday, May 14, 2007

Tricks of the Trade

Last week I was chatting with a couple of first-time Moms on the playground. They each have one child under 18 months old, so relatively speaking, I was the "veteran" Mom. As we were discussing various ways to handle some of the challenges they were facing, I realized that most of the things that worked for me were tips I had picked up from other Moms. Since the majority of my readership is Moms, I thought it would be great to share some of our favorite "Tricks of the Trade" with each other.

There are bloggers who do similar things. Shannon's "Works for Me Wednesday" is legendary. I was thinking I'd love to host something a little lower key, related specifically to preschool parenting tricks. If the participation is good, we'll try this again.

So, without further adieu, here are 4 of my current favorites:
1-Since the children started walking without a stroller (and I am not coordinated enough for a triple leash), I have been using the word "Freeze" rather than "Stop" to keep them from running away. It has one meaning in their mind. It is direct. The kids think of it as a game. It works! (I learned this from my friend, Melinda, when her oldest son was a toddler.)

2-I am a big fan of low tech and low mess games. I am also a proponent of playing outdoors more than indoors and using creativity whenever possible. Last Spring, my mother-in-law brought paint brushes on one of her visits. Although I really do appreciate the arts, I am not a fan of 3 toddlers with paint running through my home. Imagine my delight when she suggested that they were for outside and there would be no paint: The children were going to paint on the driveway with plain water. I was skeptical, but the children were thrilled and entertained for quite a while. This weekend, I attempted it again, certain that after a year of arts & crafts at Mothers Morning Out they would insist on real paint. They did not. Instead, they "painted" for over an hour!

R "painting" the front porch. Look at that concentration!

When K traded her brush in for a sponge, I couldn't help but hum "It's a Hard Knock Life." They really were having fun...I promise. ;-)

3- Unloading the children from the car in busy parking lots is a real challenge with 3 little ones. I have 2 car seats in the "way back" and 1 in the middle, so I have to get the children out in stages. I have a strict "hands on the car" rule. I park on a curb whenever possible and find an object that is in very close proximity, but away from the road/parking lot (i.e., a fire hydrant, a low fence, a tree) and require that both hands stay on the object until we are all ready to hold hands and proceed together. If we are unable to park on a curb, we use the side of the car next to the door I am unloading from. Each child, once unloaded has to place both hands on the side of the car. *This "both hands rule" works well in stores where the children could break things as well. I have them put both hands on top of their heads. I do try to limit these visits to only times when it is absolutely necessary, but when it must be done, this works like a charm.*

4- Here's an old post about a Blessing Chart we use to make positive re-enforcement a little meatier. Even at almost 3, I do not give tangible gifts after a certain number of magnets. I probably will one day and am not opposed to doing so, it is just not necessary yet. Seeing the magnet alone is an amazing motivator.

I KNOW you have lots of practical tips and creative strategies you have developed or adopted from other Moms...let's hear them!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

When your granddaddy painted, and I wanted to "help" he always gave me a paint brush and water. I would paint the bricks, which changed color and therefore I thought I was painting.
Mom

Renee said...

I cannot even think creatively right now, but I really like your #2 and #3 especially. I must admit, I chuckled a little at the thought of running into you in a store and knowing exactly who you were because of the kiddos' hands on their heads. Great idea, Jen!

Anonymous said...

I may end up posting a couple of comments, as things come to my muddled mind.

1. When I really want to get my pre-schooler's attention, I crouch down to their level and whisper. The quieter the whisper, the more attentive they get.

2. My husband and I find it helpful to have our kids look us in the eyes when we're talking to them. Helps keep their focus.

3. Bathtime. Bathtime. Bathtime. A good-ol' stand-by in our home. Whether it's 10:00 in the morning or in the middle of the afternoon. When my twins are grouchy or bored, it's a great way to pass time and seems to improve moods.

That's all I can think of for now.

Can't wait to read all the comments!
:-) Chris from Canada

MamaBear said...

The "Job Jar" works for me. I have two preschoolers and a first grader and after trying many approaches to deal creatively with the chorus of "I'm so boooored" that inevitably occurs when I need to spend several hours focused on household chores, my husband and I came up with a list of age-appropriate jobs they could do, wrote them on slips of paper, and placed them in a small jar. They now know that if they start complaining of not having something "fun" to do, Mom or Dad will be happy to reach for the Job Jar and help them "find" a new activity!

Pam said...

"Siesta" has worked for me for about three years now -- ever since my three were too old for official napping. They all responded much better to that term than "quiet time".

I homeschool, and my 7 year old will ask for "siesta" if we've been out and about for a couple days and he's missed it.

This time can be anywhere from 1-2 hours, depending on the day. We usually have siesta after lunch and after lessons are completed for the day.

My girls share a room, so they are just required to play or read quietly on their beds during siesta.

Definitely "works for me" : )

Mommy said...

I am one of the oldest in a family of 22 children. We know the both hands on the car rule all too well. It is too funny to see the looks of passer by's though. With my family, we would sometimes have 10 plus kids lined up and it looked like a drug search was going on.

Erin said...

I think it is so funny that you mentioned painting with water. It was the first thing I thought of when I read the first of your post. My children love it! Our home is brick, so they love to "paint" the house! And, I love that there is virtually nothing I have to say "No" to - they can paint on everything!

We also paint with water inside. I get a mat and give them each a piece of construction paper, a paint brush and a cup of water. They love it, and I love the easy clean up.

I'll be thinking. . .

Unknown said...

i found your blog through a friend of mine and have been reading every day since! you have such a way with words that shows not only your thoughts, but how God is moving in your life. it is quite an inspiration!

i am not a mother yet - but i certainly had a creative mother! there are a few things i know i will always remember and use with my kids. when we (my younger borther and i) were about 4 or 5, my mom wanted to teach us how to responsibly look at items in a store, etc. so, we always had a one finger rule. you may touch it with one finger, but any more and we weren't allowed to touch anything else for the duration of shopping. it worked well with us! she also always made a game out of cleaning up. (seriously the woman was/is mary poppins!) she would say find all the blue toys and put them in this crate or find all the toys that start with 'a' and put them on the shelf. not only did it help clean up - we learned our colors and ABC's!

Wendy said...

My kids love to paint w/water too. They have also enjoyed Sculpey modeling clay and we bake their creations in the oven and making creations w/dried beans.

Deidre said...

Oh, I'm so excited! I am always looking for new simple ideas for my 5 and almost 2 year old. I'll post something soon. I love that your gearing this specifically to parenting little ones. We all need something new to try.

I LOVE the paint with water idea. I have to try that today. What a great idea. Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

One more thing. I can't stress enough how much this has helped my parenting!

When my kids start squabbling (with five of them around, there's plenty of opportunity!), before I get involved in the conflict, I start ferociously praying for them.

Stuff like:
God, help them remember what they should do right now!

God, put Your Peace in their hearts. Make them peacemakers!!

God, give her self-control over her tongue right now.

God, soften his heart - help him to forgive his sister.

I'm amazed at how many times this has avoided my need to get involved. Not always, by any means. But there have been countless beautiful situations where I've seen God's Spirit working in them and molding them.

Chris from Canada

Anonymous said...

I'm not a mother yet although I cant wait for that day. However I have worked in a preschool with 2-5 year olds. One rainy day the children were going a little stir crazy because they couldn't play outside, so I got out this old blue sheet, draped it over a table so it touched the floor on either side, and bingo! An underwater cave! The children disappeared into their "cave", along with various toys, and it kept them occupied for hours. I was amazed at how much entertainment they could get from a large piece of fabric!

Pam & Mike said...

Squirt bottles and tiny clothespins. I don't think I could live without either one with my toddler. You can find very small squirt bottles at Target, and my son loves to use them as a pretend fire hose, water mister, or cleaning windows w/ rag, etc.
We use the tiny clothespins for hanging up things he's cut out on a 'pretend' clothesline made out of heavy string/rope. It's fun to actually cut out cardboard pieces of clothing, and pretend to let them "dry".
Another idea: Fill a rubbermaid tub with dried beans. Put in scoops and funnels and spoons and cups. We put out a towel, and tell him the beans have to stay ON the towel (or better yet, in the tub!) It's like an indoor sandbox, but better.
Another idea: picking up beans or cotton balls or corn kernels with a pair of blunt tweezers. Transferring from one bowl to another. Or using tongs to pick up ping pong balls!

I'll stop now, but I have MANY more ideas!
Pam

Garrett Robinson said...

This is a great idea- I will give it some thought and post back. Surely I have to have at least one good idea.. hmmmm...

Garrett

Oh- I this one is way simple but it is foul proof. Giving her choices- which dress do you want to wear (a or B)? What do you want to eat (apple or yogurt)? etc. But the only choices are the ones I decide.

I also try to make eating vegetables fun. For instance, I jump real high like a bunny and tell her that eating carrots will make her jump high too. She will eat a bite, then jump high. Eat another one, jump- and I tell her how much higher she has jumped. Okay, so it sounds real complicated but a girls got to do what a girls got to do.

Anonymous said...

My son decided he didn't like green beans anymore, so I decided to call them "green bean french fries" and let him dip them in ketchup. Now, he requests them at almost every meal! Works with carrots too :-)

Perri said...

Well, it's taken me awhile to come up with something worthwhile to add to this post but I finally remembered ONE thing that was quite useful. When the kids got out of cribs and into toddler beds, they thought that meant they had the liberty to get up at least 15 times each to go get a drink, blow their nose, get a different animal, brush their teeth again, etc.

I curbed this behavior with the help of candy. Each night - each child would get 3 Tootsie Roll midgies before they went to bed. Every time they got up for something that wasn't really vital (and I was the only judge), they had to forfiet a Tootsie Roll. Any Tootsie Rolls left were theirs to eat the next day.

Not too many nights went by before they were going to bed and staying there.