Saturday, April 21, 2007

K's View of Marriage

My sweet husband gave me a cherished gift after the birth of our children: 3 thin diamond bands. Although they are 3 separate rings, I wear them together on my right hand. The plan is to give one to each child on the occasion of their engagement.

One night last week, while I was bathing the children, K started turning them on my finger. I explained to her that there was one ring for each child--and that one day when they got married I would give them each a ring.

Bear in mind, they do not understand "married." They have never attended a wedding. Once when they were looking at our wedding album, I tried to explain marriage and K said confidently, "You marry Daddy at the beach." Since I was married in a church in Atlanta I was confused by where he would get this idea. "You 'member, Mama. We go to the Mary Beach." We had, in fact, vacationed at Rosemary Beach several months before...incredible little minds!

Anyway, today we were having lunch at a local deli when R decided to pitch a huge tantrum. I took him out to the car for a few minutes of Time Out. When we returned, Daddy had a twinkle in his eye as he asked, "So, when did you tell the children about the rings?" He went on to explain that K had grabbed his wedding band and declared, "Daddy, I get 'dis from you when I get big and get me a boy-ee."

7 comments:

Ivey's Mom said...

I wish it were all that simple.

Anonymous said...

And, I'll bet that Daddy's heart was broken--if even for a second at the thought of his daughter getting herself a boy-ee. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

I love the sentiment and idea of those bands, that's such a sweet and awesome keepsake for each of them.

Kate seems like such an adorable little girl and lots of fun!

Erickson 5 said...

Thanks for the great laugh! Too funny! I am sure Kate will be a heartbreaker! Watch out Boy's here she comes. By the way, thanks for the congrats on the potty training. The good news is that it keeps getting better everyday!
Nicole

Mandalyn said...

That's so cute! They say the funniest things! I love to hear my 2 year old say the cutest things!

God Bless!

Phyllis R. said...

Boy-ee, I tell you that Kate is a HOOT!!! "Get me a boy-ee" is just too funny. Sounds like she's going to be picking one out at a store, or something! I know I tell you this all the time, but I just LOVE how you've got their lingo down. It CRACKS ME UP. And what a neat - and totally fabulous! - gift for being their Mama!

Maria said...

Your stories make me smile! Thank you for sharing!