Friday, December 29, 2006

Where babies come from

The interrogation has begun. The kiddos (especially K) are asking non-stop questions. I drove to Atlanta and back with just K today and she never stopped: Where we goin'? What you drinkin'? What dat? Who on da phone? What you lookin' at? What dat sound like? Mama? Mama? Ma-MA?!?

Then, tonight at dinner this conversation occurred.
P: "Bennett has a new baby." (Bennett is a friend from church and preschool, whose Mom had a baby a few months ago.)
K: "And Charlie has a baby too."
Me: "Bennett has a baby brother, Banks. Charlie's Mommy has not had their baby yet, it is still in her tummy."
R: "Randi have 2 babies in her tummy." (My friend, Randi, is having twins.)

A whole conversation about Mommies and babies in tummies followed. (Nobody panic, it was all VERY age appropriate, I promise!) This led to the re-explanation of how our grandparents and great-grandparents are related, all in terms of who was in whose tummy. (Dad, they asked if you were ever in my tummy!) I was silently praying that I was not royally confusing them and hoping the article I had JUST read about answering toddlers questions honestly was on target.

Then R looked at me and VERY SERIOUSLY said, "Mom, good talking." I was a bit taken aback and said, "What, sweetie?" He then repeated approvingly, "Dat was good talkin', Mom."

8 comments:

Perri said...

That is so sweet. Not a week goes by - seriously - not a week - that we dont' have a discussion of who grew in my belly and who grew in my heart.

Marybeth Whalen said...

Hi-- I discovered your blog today and really enjoyed it. I read your love story like I was watching a really good made for tv movie! Ü
Thanks for the reminders to treasure every moment... I will keep checking back on you and your life with triplets!
PS. You are a gifted writer-- you should consider attending the Proverbs 31 Ministries She Speaks conference. For more info go to www.proverbs31.org.

Marybeth Whalen said...

I realized the comment does not automatically track you back to me. So, to find me in the blogosphere, go to www.marybethwhalen.com and click on the blog button!

Kim said...

Sweet words from your little ones...thanks for sharing! You will be so glad you wrote all this down!!!
Happy New Year!
Kim

keri said...

that's fun that you know the mccommons...they are our friends too.
and just wait til they turn 4...the questions just keep getting harder! just warning you :)

Andi said...

Good talkin Jen

Blogger profile name said...

I linked here from BooMama. We have 8 kids and live in the north metro area!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.