Thursday, November 02, 2006

13 Things I Love About Your Daddy

We are often challenged to live better lives by the question, "What do you want people to say about you when you are gone?" My question is why do we WAIT until people are gone to say nice things? It is so easy to get caught up in the pace of life that we forget to pause and appreciate each other. I can spend time being annoyed by the little things like socks left on the floor, toilet lids left up and crazy/unpredictable schedules and miss the bigger picture of all that my precious husband is and brings to our life. So, today I wanted to write down some things for the children in honor of what an awesome Man of the House we have...

13 things I love about your Daddy
1. His work ethic is UNBELIEVABLE. He not only works hard, he works with excellence. I am such a “get it done” person that I sometimes wish he weren’t such a perfectionist. It sure does slow things down to do them well! :-)

2. He gets the sweetest little twinkle in his eye when he grins. He looks like a 7 year old about to get into some trouble. His dimples are heavenly. (I LOVE that my boys both have them.)

3. He never forgets that he & I are a team. He backs me up in disciplining the children and in life in general (and vice versa).

4. He is a strong man that knows he doesn’t have to sacrifice his compassion to prove his strength.

5. He dances in the kitchen with us. My absolute favorite family memories are when I look across the room at my well-educated, proper husband acting silly with my children.

6. He loves our family. Even though he works his buns off, he often slips out of the hospital for 30 minutes or so to see us, even though he’ll have to return and it will ultimately make his day longer.

7. He gives great hugs.

8. He loves God and is an upright man. His ethics are impeccable.

9. He is an awesome listener and gives really wise advice.

10. He “gets” me. I am rather quirky, but he has made it his business to know how to encourage me in meaningful ways.

11. I was the first and only woman (non-family) he ever said, ‘I love you’ to…even though he was 30. He said he knew those words meant something and he would not say them until he knew it was the woman he planned to marry. Even now that he says it frequently, I treasure hearing him say those 3 little words.

12. He is a true gentleman who opens doors and stands when a lady approaches the table. I appreciate that K will grow up knowing how a lady should be treated and the boys will have chivalry and good-manners modeled for them.

13. It still makes my heart go pitter patter to look across the room and realize THAT amazing man, the one I met on that blind date 8 years ago, is my husband and the father of my children. Wow! God is good.

9 comments:

The Amazing Trips said...

Your children are very lucky to have parents that love each other so completely.

He sounds like a wonderful man. But - to be married to such a gem, you must be one, too!! :)

Unknown said...

I love writings like this -- makes me so happy! All too often, you hear women put down their lover, friend and partner. Focusing on the great things is far better.
:-)

By the way, I met my honey on a blind date too! We are celebrating #15 this month.

Anonymous said...

13 reasons why you have a great marriage. You are certainly blessed.

Anonymous said...

I need to get over here more often- I absolutely love your posts! I remember being in the midst of the great mystery of "who does God have in store for us?" I always knew you would find someone amazing! And the monkeys were precious for Halloween! :) Robin

Alison said...

I am covered in goosebumps and have tears in my eyes. What a blessed household you have. Cheers to all of you!

Ivey's Mom said...

You are blessed!!!
Remember it takes a good woman to have a good man..
Thank you for coming to see Ivey Wednesday.

Michelle said...

He definately sounds like a man after God's own heart! I love hearing about other couples that love each other.

Paula said...

oh, you have made me cry. He sounds wonderful as a man, husband and father!!

Erin said...

Very sweet!! He sounds like a keeper to me!!1 :-)