Monday, November 13, 2006

Sick Day

Sweet K is under the weather with a fever that has remained steady at 101-102 for 24 hours. She is singing and playing and behaving rather normally, but her eyes reveal a little one who is fighting off some variety of bad germs. Her ears look fine and she tested negatively for Strep, so we are just waiting for this little mystery bug to pass.

I was initially resentful of this kink in my plans. I had a lot on my agenda today: Two meetings to attend this morning. The children's Thanksgiving program tonight. My husband's parents & grandmother coming up to attend the program and celebrate Nana's 88th birthday. A To Do list a mile long.

Instead, I spent the morning sitting at the kitchen table for over 2 hours with my little girl. We enjoyed PlayDoh, crayons, stickers, markers, stamps, music and conversation. Just K & me.

Things were so calm. If she wanted to do a different activity, there were no others' feelings or preferences to consider. She chose what she wanted for snack and lunch. Her needs were heard the first time she made them known and attended to immediately. I was even able to read and get some work done at the table.

It was a sweet blessing to have this time with her, yet the house feels too quiet and calm--oddly empty. She has talked about the boys a couple of times. I think she will be just as excited as I am to pick them up at 1.

I am always thankful for one-on-one, individual time with the children. I do not get enough of it. It makes me realize how incredibly different it is to have multiples vs. an only child. I am also keenly aware despite all the benefits of the slower pace, there are equally as many advantages to the life God has given us.
Their childhood will be shaped by having built-in playmates requiring constant teamwork, negotiation and sharing. They are learning at an early age to be encouragers. I am thankful for the laughter, noise, and unique gifts each one brings to the composition of our family.

Today was a sweet (if snotty) reminder of the importance of making individual time with the children a priority--and how much I really do love the chaos called my family.

9 comments:

Kate said...

I am so glad you stumbled across my blog last week, because it led me to yours! I have had so much fun reading your recent posts and could have commented on almost all of them. Your children are absolutely precious! How encouraging it is to see how the Lord is working in the lives of others... even those I have never met. I will be certain to keep "visiting"! Would you mind if I added your blog to my blogroll?

Erickson 5 said...

WOW! What an awesome reminder to me about what a blessing triplets really are. Your blog gave me the chills and I also need to make time for each of my children. Triplets are a lot of work (noise and chaos most the time too) but if I had the choice to do it a different way I would not. We are so blessed to have such a unique but awesome experience. You are so inspiring to me. Thank you for taking the time to do your blog and for sharing your life raising triplets with me. Since our children are only 6 days apart in age I feel like I can connect with you on so many of your blogs. God bless and I hope Kate is feeling better soon!

keri said...

it's in times like those when we can either get frustrated that our day's agenda is shot...or we can take advantage of the quality time with our children. i'm glad you chose the latter! but i have to admit, there are lots of times when i'm just frustrated that my plans don't go the way i want them. i'm so stinkin selfish! but what a great opportunity for you to love on your kate and take care of her!! and i'm sure she felt so loved. :)

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart. Look at those eyes. Please give her a big snotty hug from her Aunt Boo.

Love Y'all!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a fun day with your little girl. Hope she is feeling better soon!

Erin said...

Oh, how I long for a day like that with my 3 year old. He loves it when we actually get to do something just the two of us - which is rarely ever!! I need to make it a priority - thanks for the reminder!!

I hope your little girl is feeling better already! Take care.

Alison said...

This may sound strange, but I love sck days as it gives cause to just cuddle and be together. I prefer it when they are well of course, but when they are sick they are not too busy to curl up and neither am I...

Hope she is feeling herself again soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen- I hope sweet Kate is feeling better. Since Marian and Caroline are so close in age I feel like they're twins but I definitely can't imagine three!! BTW, I LOVED the tree frog post. I definitely can't relate to that unless Marian turns out to be a tomboy. So, so funny. And I can't believe you thought I look like my mom! Actually I can because I get that alot- I just have never been able to see it that much. You do know that Kate looks just like you don't you? I love that! :) Robin

Sarah said...

I'm amazed that you're still alive from the bout with the dead frog! I would've died, I'm pretty sure--I HATE frogs! I'm shuddering stil . . .

Anyway, this is such a sweet post and says what I often feel; with three close in age I wish I had more one-on-one with each, especially my middle. But you're right, their time together will mold and shape them in so many ways!