Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Amen & Amen

I have been trying to make quiet/reflection time a priority lately. Frankly, I am far too easily distracted to pull this off at home. I have the attention span of a 2 year old. If I am at home I am constantly reminded of other "productive" things I should be doing. So, today Annie came to babysit during nap time and I ran a couple of errands and then went to Starbucks to have a cup of hot tea, catch my breath and do a little reading.

My Small Group is studying Beth Moore's Patriarchs study of Genesis. God is apparently really driving a specific message home in my life right now, because right on the heels of my love story posts over the weekend, here's what I read today:

"We often think receiving what we've be guaranteed ought to be a cakewalk, but Scripture shows the opposite is more often true. The most profound things God promised were often fulfilled against the greatest odds and through the most difficult hardships. To God, faith is often the point--God does nothing cheaply. Perhaps the divine nature of a promise fulfilled guarantees its expense. We may receive a hundred unexpected things from God with delightful ease while the fulfillment of some of the things we believe He promised us proves virtually impossible. You see, the impossibility is what makes the fulfillment of the promise fall under the God category."
(from page 96, The Patriarchs by Beth Moore.)

"Somehow we never grow accustomed to the idea that pain and difficulties are part of the human experience. God is not going to exempt his children from life's difficulty. Rather, he highlights those very challenges to prove our faith is genuine. We have an infinite advantage over unbelievers, however, even in the here-and-now of our earthly experience. Our difficulties are filled with meaning and far-reaching effects, leaving warm blessing on the earthly journey. Our lives are God's "I am here" tag on the map of humanity."
(from page 107-108, The Patriarchs by Beth Moore)

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I am doing Beth Moore's Daniel study right now and I know it was to be at just a time as this in my life. God knows what we need, when we need it!

Paula said...

WOW! I think I needed to hear that as well. Thank you!

Stephanie said...

That study so great ... and those quotes are so true!

Ivey's Mom said...

I need to get a copy of this from you. Daily I have someone try to explain away the pains of my daughter or try to pretend that those pains do not exist. A rational I have yet to understand. A family member once told me that I percieved everything as 'doom or gloom'. It hit pretty hard. I have always thought I handle things aggressively and with a good dose of REATILY. Life is as it is. You are actually the person who kept me from traveling down the road of doom or gloom and prevented me from feeling sorry for myself, my family and especially Ivey. Do you remember what you said to me?
I think you and this statement are completely on target. Life has pain and out of it comes some of our greatest accomplishments. My daughter is point proven. My faith and acceptance of my fate ensure that with every breath I breathe. I do not think our God is a harsh God, but I believe whole heartedly that we are not exempted from life's difficulties. I love this.!
Your friend.

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Hi Jen Mom. I posted a while back and thought I'd drop in again. I've been recently hospitalized for preterm labor with my twins and have really appreciated being able to go back through your blog and being encouraged by everything you went through with your little miracles. Thanks for being so open and willing to share your inspiring story. We are holding on at 24.5 weeks and hope to make it many more, God is so good!

God Bless You and Yours,
Lindsey

Erin said...

I did the Patriarchs study a year or so ago, and I loved it!! Thanks for the passages you quoted. I couldn't help thinking of little Ivey and Addison. They bear God's "I am here" tag for all to see! Thanks for sharing.

You made me want to call a babysitter!! I am so jealous!! Going to Starbucks for hot tea and alone time sounds like heaven to me!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Thanks so much =-) I will definitely be praying for your friend as well.

Michelle said...

Just popping in to wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!