Sunday, March 22, 2020

Covid Quaranteens: Week One

Our first full week at home social distancing was actually quite smooth. In many ways, this Mama's heart was overflowing from the gift of so much time with my people.

I wanted to establish some sort of rhythm without being overly controlling, so I settled on a checklist with categories of activities. My teens were given freedom in what order they completed the tasks and how to fulfill some of the requirements.


We were able to address a dozen "life skills," complete many home projects that have been lingering on my list and learn lots of new games (including Texas Hold 'Em and Spades). I also took advantage of the captive audience to introduce a few movies they might not have otherwise chosen for their screen time.

Ryland returned to work at his surgical practice and covering call for two hospitals. He is adjusting to a new normal as all elective surgical cases have been canceled and this was a large portion of his practice. There will be tremendous financial implications, as well as difficult management decisions within the practice. At this point, the caseload of Covid infected patience is under control enough that Ryland is not on the front lines, but this could change at any time. In the meantime, he is researching a great deal and ordering his own personal protection (when possible). 

Parker, our introvert, is thriving. Kate seems to be enjoying the forced sabbatical--a pause from all the social, scholastic, and schedule-related pressure. RyGuy, my extrovert, has been the most affected so far. The greatest losses for them at this point are their lacrosse, track and soccer seasons and the threat to their age-out years at Summer camp.  Kate is also disappointed that her date from brace removal has been kicked back three weeks :(

I am adjusting to the loss of my daily normal it has been quite manageable so far. I always said I wanted to cook more, so I guess this is my chance!

So many poignant things have already been written about the hopes for this period of history and what we will learn. I don't necessarily feel the need to add to that here. But I do think it's helpful to look for the lessons. At the conclusion of the first week, I am grateful for the forced pause, the opportunity for a reevaluation of life priorities, technology to stay connected, and the peace of being at home with a strong family unit to weather this storm.

No comments: