Saturday, August 13, 2011

Real Life Love

Once upon a time I wanted to save the world...then I realized the world already had a Savior. I also realized I was only one person in a great big universe. Rather than allowing that to paralyze me with overwhelm, I am slowly learning to just trust God for each day.

Slowing down...being intentional in how I spend my time. It is a constant struggle to not get swept away in meaningless and trivial pursuits...but in those moments where I get a glimpse of the rewards of living life on purpose and with a purpose I have a peace that THIS is life the way God intended it.

I also once thought that in order to make a difference I needed to GO...and while there is certainly still a lot to be gained, perspective wise, from going, the older I get the more I realize how much need is right around me every single day.

I think there is a reason Jesus taught us to love our neighbor...there is plenty of need right in our sphere of influence. Broken, hurting, frightened, lonely people...who just want kindness and heartfelt attention...a listening ear...to not feel like an outcast.Sometimes I think it would be easier to go on a short term mission trip than it is to stay and minister to peers--people whose dirt you've heard, and who have seen and heard your dirt too... Strangers can be easier to minister to simply because we know less of their story to judge.

But we are commanded to LOVE our neighbors--not a fake, showy, when it works for us kind of love--but as we love ourselves.

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Romans 12:9-13 (NIV)

Sorry for the stream of consciousness/soap box...sometimes I just need reminding (and the accountability of writing it down.)

2 comments:

Blessing Counter said...

I need the reminder as well -- I thought I would be in Africa by now...instead God said "Stay, work in your corner of the world." Ah....thanks for the encouragement!

La Familia Garcia said...

Great post, I think God is teaching this to me too as my husband and I met hoping to soon be missionaries to Mexico. Our circumstance have changed and that has not yet been in God's timing. We are still praying for that day, but seeing how much there is to do right where we are. Thanks for this post.