Thursday, July 24, 2014

God's Provision in a Plastic Container

Yesterday K made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
"Mom, can we spend some time together cleaning and organizing my room?"

It was an especially welcomed suggestion since my girl is not exactly marked by neat and orderly tendencies. My energizer bunny would much rather be climbing a tree or conducting a science experiment than sorting, folding or straightening indoors!

I didn't ask any questions, but chose to accept it as a kind gesture. After dropping the boys at tennis this morning, we set out to tackle the project. I didn't want to risk her enthusiasm having a chance to wane.

Before long, music was blaring, stacks were being formed and her room was shaping up. After two hours we had a large black garbage bag full of trash and neat cabinets and drawers.

My little one is a bit of a pack rat with sentimental attachment to lots of things, so I was surprised by the number of formerly treasured items she was setting aside "for someone else to enjoy." We managed to fill a large plastic bin.

As I closed the lid on this girly treasure trove of stuffed animals, dolls, games, craft kits and jewelry she said, "Mom, I want to find someONE to give this to instead of just dropping it off somewhere."

We went about our rather ordinary Summer day. I dropped K off for a play date and went to retrieve my sons.

Around 2pm I received a text from a friend that serves as a foster parent with news that she had recently taken in a sibling group (two boys and a girl). She indicated that the children had arrived with very little and she was working on securing a few things to make them feel more at home--especially dolls and toys for the 6 year old girl.

I couldn't believe it! I excitedly informed her that we had a freshly packed container of great things that would be completely age and size appropriate. When I collected K from her friend's house we drove over to meet this sweet girl and deliver the goodies.

As the little girl opened the box and went through the items with K I was overwhelmed by God's provision for this sweet one. I saw the contents in a fresh way--through her eyes--and it looked like a 6 year old's Christmas wish...a doll with clothes, bottles, brushes and a stroller. Stuffed animals. A veterinary kit. Craft sets. Costume jewelry for dress up. A swimsuit and cover up. A church dress and play clothes. It suddenly didn't seem like donations, but instead like a suitcase that had been custom packed for this little one.

All the uncharacteristic interest in cleaning up had been for a much grander purpose.God had this child on His mind. What we considered a Summer chore was a way He was planning to shower love.


As we were leaving I couldn't help but point it out to our new friend. "Hey, do you know how much God loves you? He had us thinking of you before we had even met you. God had us pack up this container just for you!"

She smiled and I gulped as the implications in my own life sunk in. I looked over at my friend who had tears in her eyes too. 

When we drove away I reminded K not to miss the sweetness of this story. God loves US so much He let us be a small part of His big plan today. 

This is the way our God operates. He is thinking of us, loving us and putting us on other people's hearts even when we don't realize it. Even tonight I am shaking my head at the reminder of His Provision. 

I don't retell this story as a "look at me," but as a "Look at HIM!" God made a moment today that all of my well-intentioned orchestrating could not have crafted. He is woo-ing that sweet foster child, just as he is wooing my daughter, my friend and me...with undeniable reminders that He is weaving all our stories together. We must simply pay attention. 

10 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I've been immersed in the messy and sad side of life in the last little while, and you don't know how much I needed to hear this! How precious God is to us, and us to Him. Thank you, Jen!

Leslie said...

Love love love love love!!!! God is so good!

dee said...

Wow, just wow! I was reminded of this quote from Jesus Calling that I had just read this morning: "There is no limit to the variety of ways I can communicate with you. Your part is to be attentive to My messages, in whatever form they come."

Arlene G said...

I love these kinds of blessing moments. It tells me that just as God provides for others, He will provide for me. Thanks for sharing!!

Jenny said...

What an awesome story! We serve a mighty God! :)

Sarah said...

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

Sincerely Anna said...

I have tears in my eyes! God is good. Your stories always say Look at Him. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

What an awesome story! I am a pack rat myself, and can appreciate how much hard work went into that. Great job, K!
Have you ever heard of the website called "A Mighty Girl"? It is AWESOME and reminds me of your mighty girl K! What really reminded me of her was their whole post on Mighty Girl Halloween costumes - no damsels in distress here! There were scientists and pilots and hunters and sharks (!). It is such an empowering site, and one I think you would love to share with K. They also have a great FB page to follow. http://www.amightygirl.com

Keri said...

I'm late to the "comment party" on this post, but WOW! I absolutely love this story, and when my 7-year-old sat down next to me as I was finishing it up, I went back to the beginning and read it out loud to her. What a special lesson for everyone (myself and my daughter included)!

Lauren and Eddie said...

Tears in my eyes! What a beautiful story woven together by our Creator!