Saturday, July 21, 2012

Perspective in Troubled Times

I strive to be a person of perspective. I think it makes ALL the difference in how we experience the world. To that end, I loved this quote from notjustcute.com--especially in regards to explaining hard, scary, tragic events to kids.

Thankfully, my people aren't aware of what happened yet, but I am tucking this sage advice away for the next tornado, plane crash, hurricane...(It came from the always sensitive Mr. Rogers.)

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers -- so many caring people in this world."
-Fred Rodgers

I have read all sorts of responses to this tragedy--each with their own spin. The unfortunate reality is that pain, suffering and evil are a part of this world.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you WILL have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV

Let us not forget that each day we get to choose what to focus on...evil or good, pain or healing, helplessness or hope. May we choose wisely and model it for the little hearts and eyes in our care!

1 comment:

Amanda Morgan said...

What an inspirational blog! You have a gift as a mother and a writer. I'm honored to have you reading and linking to mine as well.