Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Almost 8 Years

“There are lives I can imagine without children but none of them have the same laughter & noise.” -Brian Andreas

I am feeling quite sappy as we prepare to celebrate 8x8x8 Saturday. Just thinking of it makes me grin.

I have no idea what I imagined motherhood to be like eight years ago as I sat gestating at Northside Hospital. I seem to recall having a blank picture as I tried to imagine my new role as "the girl who has the triplets." I know for a fact I could not have imagined it this way.

Early this morning as my husband came in to kiss me goodbye, I was just lying in bed staring at the wall. His arrival shook me back to reality and I told him what I was feeling...happiness, love and peace.
 Family was such a beautiful invention from our creative God.

Life is not a fairy tale. My kids (and their parents) are works in progress. It gets wild. Wrangling this many wills and desires into the same direction often feels like the 10-legged race that it is. Somebody seems to have an issue at any given point in time. It is all a part of growing up (for all of us.) We have our 'stuff,' but it doesn't define us. We also have noise, adventure, laughter and love.
Lasting joy, I am aware, is not dependent on circumstances, however, in this moment, with these people, "the boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places" and I am so grateful!

No comments: