Sunday, October 02, 2011

Run Your Race

This morning was slated to be my sons' first triathlon (and K's second) but Mother Nature had other plans. Due to the chilly temps the scheduled early morning lake swim was scrapped and the trio had their first duathlon experience instead.

So they ran...
And transitioned...
And biked...
(four miles on these little bitty bikes that worked those sweet legs HARD) And then they ran another mile.


As their mother, my mind ran through all the reasons this should have been impossible.

I went into labor at 24 weeks.

They were born as micro preemies (less than 9 pounds when you put the three together). Between the three we have our share of diagnoses and have been through years of physical, occupational and speech therapy.

They are only seven years old--and very much on the little side of that age.

Their parents aren't exactly triathletes.

We don't have all the fancy equipment.

The best we could do is run beside them and encourage them like crazy.

Rather than using excuses, my children courageously and enthusiastically got out there and tried. Not because they are well-trained, stellar athletes...none of them placed and we were essentially dead last.

But they were healthy and strong enough to show up and run their race to its completion.


And we are VERY proud of them.

While still on the course P noticed that he was going to be the last to finish. He asked a few times if he really was in very last place. His Daddy & I tried to explain what we felt in our hearts: Participating and finishing put him ahead of the majority of 1st graders we know--who didn't even come out and attempt it. The placing was an afterthought...The goal wasn't to win, as much as it was to get our children out there and cheer them on as they did their best. It was the participation and the completion that overwhelmed my heart with gratefulness and joy.

I was told last Spring (when K participated for the first time) that the beauty of triathloning was the individuality in a group setting. I have found that to be true. Even those who train with a group get out on the course and run their own individual race marked by different strengths, weaknesses, challenges and accomplishments. Most seem to be competing with themselves rather than anyone else.

It occurred to me as I watched from the sidelines that every one of the 180+ youth & adult participants has a story too. Some were apparent (and unbelievably inspiring) Others were unseen and potentially unknown--like the 8 year old foster child from our group home who participated this morning even though his own parents weren't around to witness it or cheer him on. (Don't worry, plenty of others did.)

We spent 8 hours on the course today--participating, cheering and volunteering. I am still processing our experience, but I think the most important life lesson I learned today was this: Run your race. Not your neighbor's race or your parent's race, not your idol's race or your children's race. Run your race...the one set and marked out for you when your days were written in the book. Run with courage, strength, faith and love.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. Hebrews 12:1 NIV

8 comments:

Pam said...

Your kiddos are a inspiration!! i love that they are doing this at their ages on their own. Most kids I know do it because Mom or Dad are doing a race. Please tell them congratulations.
Pam

Charlow Family said...

I have tears in my eyes. Beautiful.

HopeandWhimsy said...

Such a beautiful post!!! Thanks for the reminder!

Christy Murphy said...

What a great job by all three!! Such a great lesson for them to learn at a young age - run your own race!! Looks like so much fun! :)

dee said...

I am proud of them and they aren't even mine! ;-) Such a great life lesson for all of us- start and finish!!

Liz said...

The picture of your husband running alongside your son made me cry. Beautiful!!!

Keri said...

I've been so busy lately that I'm afraid I have to confess to doing read-and-runs at my 3 or 4 favorite blogs, rather than taking the time to leave comments. (And yes, yours is one of the few blogs that I still carve out time to read almost every day!)

But I have to take the time tonight to tell you that God spoke very clearly to me through this post. I've tried to distill what He's saying into a couple of brief sentences so I can relate it here in this comment, but I'm failing miserably. :-)

Suffice it to say "Thank you," as always, for the writing that you do here. Even when I don't take the time to comment, please know that God frequently uses you to speak into my life, and I'm grateful that you make yourself available for His use in this way.

Jill said...

Makes me teary... I can't even imagine how proud you are of them. Yay!