Friday, June 03, 2011

7 Year Old Stats

We had our 7 year old well child appointments today. It is always fun for me to mark this place in time with 'the numbers' of how they have grown.

K 43.75 inches 38 lbs (originally 13 inches 2lbs 12oz)
P 44.75 inches 38.5 lbs (originally 13 inches 2lbs 6oz)
R 46.25 inches 43.5 lbs (originally 14 inches 3 lbs 3oz)

It was a good visit, although I confess that I was a bit surprised to hear that one of mine might be suffering from asthma. Apparently, it is yet another side effect of premature birth.

I am not sure why I always assume we have 'outgrown' preemie issues...but even at 7 years old it is just not the case. Between my three, we have multiple diagnoses that stem from early birth...mild CP, developmental delay, ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder, asthma. (This doesn't include the havoc a triplet pregnancy brought to my body through heart failure.)

As I was driving home feeling worried about yet another addition to our medical history I had to laugh that just seeing us you wouldn't guess it. Everyone is happy, thriving and from my perspective healthy. I was reminded of a gem from my friend Cabell: Something can be a part of your history without being your identity.

If you had read this list of issues to me 7 years ago (not to mention some of the hospitalizations and surgeries in the early days that aren't even listed as current issues) I would have been terrified and disheartened. It all sounds worse than it actually feels. Despite what our medical history might state...we certainly feel fine.

It is an important reminder of how some of the very things that can seem so dreadful and scary can simply become a part of your journey. None of us are perfectly healthy. None of our relationships are flawless. None of our lives are without challenges.

We can allow ourselves to become paralyzed with fear, dwell (or wallow) on the parts of our lives that are broken or we can keep moving forward, accepting them as just a part of where our lines have fallen and look for ways to seek God through them and glorify Him as we go. It really is a choice.

I choose joy. I choose faith. I choose thankfulness.

Reflect on your present blessings of which everyone has many, not on your past misfortunes of which all have some. -Charles Dickens

4 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I believe that thankfulness is the key to really knowing God. We can see and find numerous things to be grateful for to our precious Lord.

Samantha said...

What a great quote by Dickens! You must be quite a reader, you seem to always have an appropriate scripture verse or unique quote to tie up your posts. They are such a treat!

I have been away from the computer for over a week and was delighted to come home to your new blog design-what fun! It is cheery and appears to be in a state of motion, very much what I imagine your home life to be like. I am blessed daily by your words and pictures, whether by challenging yourself and thereby me to live better, speak better, pray better or reminding me to treasure every moment with my own children. I respect the difficult choice you have daily about just what to post and how much detail to share. I pray there will be plenty of fun to share with this blog community. I will miss you and the kids if you are too long absent. :)

Thank you for sharing your life through this medium. I count you as a friend even though we are strangers.

Taylor said...

Miss J,

This is a lovely reflection. I noticed Miss Beth's (Moore) voice echoed in the phrase "where our lines have fallen" (though it is God's voice through Scripture, not necessarily her's) as I have recently heard her teaching on the theme of inheritance... Not sure why I share that with you other than the simple joy of sharing a common ground in thinking that you may have heard it also.

Lots of rambling up there... all to say, you encourage me in my life journey with God. I have recently found you on twitter and have enjoyed your 160 character snippets of life. I am @Taylor_Blay.

Much love to you in Christ, our loving Lord.

And, your darling children are *adorable!* Happy 7th year to each of them. :-)

::Taylor

Katy said...

I love that quote! I have a son who has several seasonal allergies and I was quite irritated with the constant allergy shots and laxatives for constipation which was literally a problem from day 1. I thought, "there has to be a reason!" I searched and hunted, wheat allergy, which is in several food products. Now he's gluten free and his gut is pretty normal. He struggles in school but I refuse meds. He takes other natural supplements and we work on techniques of surviving school. WHY??? Because when he was tested at school, his visual was tested at age 21. He's a hands on little guy. He's an artist, loves to draw. Loves his legos and can built quite the exhibit! SCHOOL isn't his cup of tea, but it has to get done. If I could afford a gifted school, I would but I can't! I don't believe in ADHD, I believe there's a reason, usually the child, like mine, learns a different way. Our chiropractor has told me, he's a square trying to fit into a circle in a public school, I work there too and I know my kid isn't the only one!

I believe that statement with all my heart. It can be a part of us, but it doesn't need to define us!

He is finishing 5th grade next week!

Blessings!