Friday, May 13, 2011

Sweet Nana



While blogger has been down for maintenance, a lot has been happening in our world.

Sweet, precious Nana (my husband's paternal grandmother) went to be with Jesus this week. After 92 ½ years of living and loving well, her body was tired. She laid down for a nap at home and woke up in Heaven.

She was truly one of the dearest, most dignified women I have ever known. A long-time family friend wrote the following about her.

“She represented all that was good, kind, elegant, charming, and generous. She was unfailingly cheerful, glad to see us, interested in our family- even to our very last visit. When I think of her, I think of quality, beauty and grace. She was special, even in a generation that kept their problems to themselves and did not go on and on about their aches, pains, and suffering. Marie seemed like a person who just didn't complain nearly as much as she could have. She would have thought that unladylike and unseemly. She endured and overcame until she just couldn't anymore.”

Her daughter-in-law, my husband’s mother, wrote:“Her focus was her family where she was a constant reflection of God’s love and tenderness.” Perhaps my favorite compliment about her was my mother-in-law’s comment that in 45 years as her mother-in-law, she never had an unkind word.

Her grandson, Scott, described her as loving, compassionate, Godly, kindhearted and a survivor who beat breast cancer twice and lung cancer once.

In my experience with Nana over the last 13 years, I found her to be the definition of a lady. She had a quiet strength. She was infinitely graceful, kind and dignified. She was a genteel woman, whose dignity was never, ever snotty or intimidating. I always wanted to sit up a little straighter in her presence, not because she would look upon me any differently if I did not—but because she inspired me to embrace femininity and grace.

She adored my husband and my children—and we loved her. When we told the children of her passing, they took it like champs. I am sure the service this weekend will bring many questions, but I am so thankful for the hope that Eternity gives—and the blessing of celebrating a life well lived.

We are so thankful that we just got to see her Saturday. We will always treasure those last moments and hugs. Heaven has picked up a beautiful citizen, but Earth has lost a precious soul.

8 comments:

Mary Lou said...

What a blessing that you all got to see her last Saturday. What beautiful words written by her family. A life well lived...what a legacy and testimony. May we all finish as well as she did. So thankful she was not in much pain or any pain. What a blessing for her. Now she is standing tall and whole and praising the Lord.

storey said...

Wow...thinking about you guys! Love y'all and so sorry for your loss but exciting to think of her sitting with Jesus!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to be able to meet her through your blog.
She has a wonderful loving smile that lights up your photos of her.
My prayers are with you and your family this week-end.

k and c's mom said...

I am sorry for you loss, but am glad for a life so well lived, and so full of love.

Peter and Nancy said...

In a world increasingly filled with rudeness, reality television and poor manners, it's beautiful to read about your Nana. God bless your family as you miss her.
Nancy

Mickie McGee said...

What a wonderful tribute to a true Southern lady.....a woman who loved her family and her God and demonstrated it every day of here life. What a legacy..

erin said...

I see a lot of your daughter in Nana! blessings on this saint!

Keri said...

I've been on a media fast, so I'm just now catching up on some blog reading.

Wow, what a legacy this sweet lady has left for her family and for those who knew her...and for those of us who "knew" her through your blog! How blessed your family was to call her your own!