Saturday, May 14, 2011

Death & Life

Today we had Nana's funeral. It was a fitting tribute to a sweet soul. I cannot help but wonder how much/what the children will remember...but I hope it is the way Nana was characterized by her love for others.

I remember the first funeral I ever attended--my paternal grandfather, Pap's. My predominant memory of that event in the 3rd grade, was seeing my Daddy cry. Although they haven't mentioned it yet, I do wonder what impact it had on them watching my husband get choked up as he spoke of the influence Nana had on his life.

After the service (and the mandatory pimento cheese, fried chicken, ham and deviled eggs) we changed into play clothes and enjoyed some good old fashioned family time with my sister-in-law from Maine and her youngest daughter...feeding geese in the neighborhood pond, hide & seek and a even an impromptu after dinner dance party on the sidewalks of downtown Atlanta.This morning's activities were focused on observing a death, but this afternoon's were clearly about living life. There is nothing quite like the vibrancy of youth to lighten the mood. Nana always delighted in the antics of the young people in her life. I have no doubt she would have chuckled at their playfulness!

Today marked a new chapter in our family's history. We move on without one of the predominant characters in our story. It seems so strange to me that my children won't have any more memories with Nana. I am so glad they got to know her and pray they will treasure and remember their memories of her presence in their lives up to this point. She loved them dearly.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Sympathies.

This is a beautiful post about how life goes on.....

Mary Lou said...

I believe they will remember her. You have pictures of them with her and I am sure you all will talk about her from time to time. My grandson remembers his great grandmother,my son in law's grandmother...she played with him and got down in the floor with him. He was only four when she died and he is now twelve. Loving people live an impact in young lives, even very young lives.

Erickson 5 said...

Sympathy to you and your family. We lost our Great Grandma GG Del a few years back and she lives on in our hearts. The kids often talk about her and what she must be doing up in heaven. They will always remember their Nana.
God Bless.