Thursday, May 05, 2011

A Good Wife

A friend of mine sent me this post today from Lysa TerKeurst. I immediately forwarded it to 15 friends.

What a great reminder about the danger of assumed expectations and the importance of clear communication with our spouses. I admit I have been guilty of feeling frustrated at my ability to meet expectations that I have assumed my husband or others have of me. Before I know it I am resentful and frustrated...in a conflict that I created in my brain based on assumptions rather than facts.

I have often struggled with the fact that I am not a crafty Mom. I don't grow our own vegetables, sew our own anything. It is an impressive week if I cook three meals. I don't rise up early. I am not 'done up' most days. I am not as patient as I wish to be. My list could go on and on.

I loved Lysa's encouragement to find out what the 'top things' are for our families and focus our attention there. As she says in her post, "I could spend a whole marriage doing a hundred things half-way with a bitter attitude and an overwhelmed spirit. Or, I could do three things whole-heartedly with a smile on my face and love in my heart."

Perspective is a good thing.

2 comments:

Marva said...

Proverbs 31 is my favorite devotion site. I use it every morning. I loved the devotion today! My husband read it tonight after he got in from work. It was very fitting for me! Lots to ponder! Thanks for sharing!

C R said...

Thank you so much for talking about this today. We have several things in common (multiples--twins the same age as your three, but I have one two yrs. older, too--age, and others). But today you described me so well. I feel so guilty bc I am not the best housekeeper, or the best mom, or the best wife, closest to God or really amazing at anything. I feel like I fall terribly short at all my tasks. I am currently looking to step back into the workforce after 9 years and I am riddled with anxiety bc I am afraid I'm not going to measure up there, either. Anyway, I needed to hear that I am not the only person with these sorts of insecurites and frustrations with myself. I look at myself (college educated, healthy/wonderufl children, great husband, good friends) and I have so much to be thankful for, but at the same time it seems I lack so much.