Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Waiting for the Storm

Today has been a very strange weather day in our region. This morning 67 mph winds swept through wreaking havoc on several parts of our little town. We have been without power since around 8:30am.

Despite the relative calm of the last several hours, the meteorologists say this morning was "only an appetizer and the worst is coming" in another wave or two of probable tornadoes tonight.

The pressure feels strange. Helicopters have been hovering all day filming the damage. Power is out in places it shouldn't be...the hospital, schools. I have a headlamp on because my house is growing darker by the minute. I am typing this in my parked car as my phone battery charges. Nothing seems normal today.

The eeriest thing is the seemingly inevitable nature of it all. We have prepped our cellar, purchased extra batteries, moved things from our refrigerator into coolers. All that is left now is to sit and wait.

My children seem oblivious. They are wrestling now in the family room--after a game of whiffle ball in the front yard a bit earlier.

What admittedly inspires anxiety in me, is nothing but a grand adventure to them.

We have prepared. We have prayed. Now we wait and see what will come--trying to enjoy this unexpected family camping night!



9 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

We've had some drastic weather here lately. I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts as you weather this storm.

Bailey's Leaf said...

Prayers of safety to all of you. Hoping that your husband is home with you tonight to ride this out with you. If he's on call/on duty, you have prepared the best you can.

Anonymous said...

I pray you all have a safe night.

We too have been experiencing the strength of mother nature in the spring, only in the form of floods. 100 year record breaking types of floods.

Karen said...

The storms that are heading in your direction came through our area earlier in the day. I pray that ya'll are safe. Please update when you can.

Karen
Tupelo, MS

jamie b said...

praying y'all are safe. we survived the bham tornadoes. so so scary.

Jennifer said...

We have just emerged from our basement and heading to bed. No power but otherwise unscathed. Heartbroken by the devastation in my old stomping grounds of Tuscaloosa.

Mindy said...

HI Jennifer! Glad to hear that you all are ok. I am heartbroken for the people in Alabama (tuscaloosa and north) and in my hometown of Trenton GA. LOTs of damamge and some fatalities. Praying for all this morning!!!

Tee said...

I thought about you and your family all day yesterday and especially last night as we watched TV following the paths of the storms. We too were prepared to head to the basement, but fortunately the really bad storms went just a few miles south of us. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the families that lost their loved ones.

Julie said...

How are you today? Praying for those who are affected.