Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Taking Your Medicine

Part of our preparation for travel to the Dominican Republic has included vaccination shots against Hepatitis A and taking an anti-malaria drug. Coercing my children to get shots voluntarily in order to go and serve people they have never met in a place they cannot visualize was a challenge.

I reminded my children (and myself--that shot hurt!) that service often demands sacrifice.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Philippians 2:3-4 NIV


As challenging as it felt to get those shots a few weeks ago, it was nothing compared to getting the children to take the anti-malaria medication tonight. It only comes in a pill form...and they are not yet capable of taking pills. My husband had researched alternate methods of delivery and decided on sweetened condensed milk. It did not go over well.

My sweet children, who really have grown to love the "dininicans" they've yet to meet did not enjoy their little anti-malaria cocktail. There was gagging, crying and even an attempt to hide under the covers in their beds.

As my husband firmly asserted that they HAD to take this medicine I was struck by how his love for them and his desire to protect them led him to mandate something uncomfortable and undesirable. Because they have no concept of dangers like malaria, my children's focus was solely on the discomfort of the moment. They were unable to grasp how the momentary discomfort was necessary for their long term protection.

A father's love didn't feel very loving in the moment.

Oh, how this resonated with my soul. Father, teach me to trust You. Give me a humble heart that joyfully and faithfully yields to Your Will--even when it tastes bad in the moment. May I never forget that You are for me. You love me--and You are worthy of my trust.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I don't know if they need to take more pills, but what's always worked for me is punch (or something yummy) drank through a straw.

Just put the pill on their tongue then give them the treat. Drinking through the straw forces them to swallow it.

Good luck.

Kaye said...

Oh malaria tablets are horrible! I completely sympathise!

But malaria is far worse! My best friend was in hospital for weeks with it and said she would prefer to die than have it again.

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's how God feels when I fail to "take" the "medicine" he is prescribing. What a wonderful post!! Thank you!!!!

NoPermanentAddy said...

Try a compounding pharmacist. They can make it into something other than a pill. Also- beware of the crazy malaria pill dreams!

Beth Whitehill said...

I learned to swallow pills with the straw also!

Just put the pill on the top of the straw and drink, goes right down!

Excited to hear of your travels...praying for safety and all that goes into traveling with little people.

elizabeth said...

I learned to take large pills when I was young; if the straw trick doesn't work, have them put some of the drink in their mouth first and then the pill. That way you don't taste the pill as much.