Monday, March 07, 2011

P in the Field

My R is passionate about baseball. His love for the sport is so interesting to my husband & me because we have never cultivated it. It is just in him.

This Spring, our P, who is usually not much for team sports, informed us that he wanted to play. I didn't want to discourage him, but I also wanted to make sure he knew what he was committing to. We talked about how much uniforms and sessions at the batting cage cost. I reminded him that they practice three times a week. He remained enthusiastic about it, so I signed him up.

P has done a great job maintaining his enthusiasm. He is clearly not as passionate as R, but he seems to be really enjoying himself. Saturday morning, however, we had an experience at practice that was just such a classic picture of him I had to record it for posterity. On the way to practice, he had been very, very into one of his books (Daniel Boom/Loud Boy). He kept reading it as we walked across the parking lot to practice. Once we got settled, I took his book and sent him out with the other boys.

Because it was a 2 hour practice, I observed for about 30 minutes before taking K (and my Mom who was in town visiting) to a local bakery. When I got back it was relayed to me that P had started behaving a little strangely in the outfield. Apparently as they were fielding balls he stood in his position but turned his back completely away from the action. When the coach couldn't get his attention, he walked out to him, placed his hand on his shoulder and said, "P, what are you doing?"

It was at that point that P turned slowly around to reveal that he had hidden his book in his glove. Amidst all the chaos of a dozen 5-6 year olds playing baseball, he was totally engrossed in his book out in the field. Back turned to all the action, my boy was far more into the plot developing with Daniel Boom.

That is my precious man. A nose in his book guy through and through. I mean, the outfield does get a little boring...

10 comments:

Lynne said...

Have you ever considered grade skipping for P? I have a 5 year old in kindergarten who was recently moved to first grade for all academics. Things are going great, and he will probably go to second grade next year. I've spent endless hours recently researching grade skipping, and I've been amazed at how strongly the research supports it for highly gifted children. However, many schools don't know about it or practice it. My son's school had never done it. I found that after my son moved to first grade many of the issues that he had in the past that I had attributed to immaturity or bad behavior were actually probably just extreme boredom and trying to fit in where he really didn't. I was actually surprised that a child could skip an entire year of school but not have any noticable gaps.

Jennifer said...

Lynne- Interesting. I didn't know they did much of that anymore these days. I haven't looked into it for him, largely because I grade skipped and feel like it was hard for me being the smallest and youngest. My kids are very petite.

I also think it could potentially be a strange thing for him to be separated from his siblings in a multiple birth situation.

he is really gifted verbally and in reading, but there are definitely things in kindergarten he needs to learn.

Interesting how much some of you can read between the lines from my posts. :-)

HW said...

Oh how I love to read - and always have. My mom would boost me up to the kitchen counter when I was little and I'd read my book as she cooked dinner each evening - then I was doing my two favorite things - being next to mama and reading.

This story of hiding a book in a ball glove - it is the cutest thing I've read in a long time.

Why oh why didn't I think to do that when I was hiding behind the high jump mats during the softball unit in highschool pe?

twiceasnice said...

i know you are going to spread God's word, yeah and we are praying for your family! But, please post pictures of the boys in their uniforms like you did last year! They are so stinkin cute in them! Have a great trip!

Mindy said...

I think that is precious -- and doesn't it just show his personality perfectly?

My oldest is a total "book worm" like I am. I struggle sometimes with trying not to "force" the others to like to read as much as Allie does (or I do).

Jani said...

From the subject of your post, I wasn't sure if it was the subject or a command! :-)

Great story!!

Jennifer said...

Jani- You made me laugh out loud! :-) You must have 6 year olds...that is definitely their kind of humor :-)

Unknown said...

That sounds just like me! As a child, I always had a book with me. My parents had to enforce rules like no reading at the dinner table. I recall once, when trying to get out the door to watch my younger sister's church-league basketball game, I wanted to run back upstairs to get my book. My dad didn't want me to, and uttered these wise words, "Life is not about being entertained all the time." So true, so true. That lesson has served me well (although I was SO BORED at the game that day!).

Jennifer L. said...

Sorry--that last comment was me. I didn't realize I was still signed into a work-related account. :)

storey said...

love it! what a stinker...he's SO precious! i would LOVE a skype date once y'all are back in town!?!