Sunday, February 20, 2011

Of Prayer and Purell

Despite getting the vaccine, this week I had the flu for the first time in my life--and hopefully only. In terms of full disclosure, I didn't actually go get flu tested, but the symptoms were textbook. I was laid up for two and a half days trying to quarantine myself from my family to spare them the misery of aches, chills and sky high temperatures. My husband got it on the final day of our trip last week. I am sincerely sorry I did not show him more sympathy, but I guess since he passed it on to me we are even. ;-)

I became obsessed around 4am Saturday with my desire to protect my children from getting this funk. I had prayed a little about it, but in the pitch dark of the wee morning hours I dragged my 102 fever self out of bed on a mission. I coated my home in Lysol, Purell and Clorox with an intensity and purposefulness my tired sick body should not have been able to muster, before collapsing back into my coughing fit interrupted fog.

As soon as my fever broke, I set to work airing out my home-opening doors and windows, stripping beds, washing sheets and trying to rid my home of the germs that had infiltrated our space.

It wasn't until late this afternoon while having another conversation with my husband about something related to 'protecting our children' that I was a wee bit convicted.

What if I believed in the power of prayer the way I believed in the power of another trinity (Clorox, Lysol & Purell)? What if I was as serious about planting Truth in my heart before I leave the house each day as I am about fastening the five point harness car seats my almost 7 year olds still ride in? What if I couldn't rest at night without quality time with Jesus the way I am unable to rest without knowing my home security alarm is set?

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely think we have a responsibility to do well with what we have been entrusted. We must take reasonable steps to insure the safety of our children as part of our God-given role as parent. I just felt convicted that if you looked at my life up close, you might just find I spend more time trusting in man made things for comfort, security, peace and freedom from fear than I do in my Lord. I certainly am better able to rationalize skipping my quiet time or nightly devotions than I am fastening seat belts or making an insurance payment.

I am just wondering what would happen if I spent as much time confessing my fears to the One who holds me and my family in His Hand as I do scrubbing, buckling, worrying and/or researching.

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Great post. Good food for thought. Will ponder on this tonight...you spoke words of truth to my heart. May He speak rest to your heart. May all of you be 100% well.

Keri said...

Excellent and convicting post! As one who trusts in the "other" trinity as well, I need to be reminded of where I should be directing my energies instead.

At any rate, I hope that illness leaves your home quickly, not to return for a long, long time!