Sunday, February 27, 2011

For You

In the last few weeks I have felt myself enter a new chapter with my children. It is like a honeymoon period of sorts. It seems as if I am enjoying them anew. Their budding personalities seem to delight, amaze and entertain me. I find myself watching them (much of the time anyway) with a grin on my face. These little people are blossoming and developing before my very eyes!

I feel as if it is a gift from the Lord to have these seasons where my adoration for them comes so easily and I am prompted to tell them of my love for them on a regular basis. I fear in a few years hormone-induced attitudes will make them a bit tougher to love. I want to not take these seasons when adoration seems to flow so easily for granted.

I am reminded of the wisdom that "rules without relationship will always lead to rebellion." Parenthood is the ultimate tightrope of providing structure while continually reminding your children that you are FOR them. Rules and guidelines aren't arbitrary, they are for their protection and ultimate benefit. I know the older my children get, the harder it will be for them to accept this.

I know this because I am a strong-willed, independent minded person who has spent much of my life squelching my tendency towards rebellion. "But why/why not?" is a frequent question of my heart. The most frequent recipient of this response is my God.

"Why can't I have/do/be this?"
"Why do I have to be the one to do/say/serve?"
"Why didn't I get chosen for..."

If I look only at the 'rules' God has outlined in Scripture without the context of the intimate relationship He invites me into, I am definitely tempted to rebel. When I pause to consider His great love for me, His delight in me, the sacrifice of His Son on my behalf--it changes my perspective completely. He is not sitting on His throne in heaven waiting for me to mess up so He can zap me. His rules are far easier to accept when I accept them in the context of His inexplicable love.

These glory days with my children are a gift. Time spent together--listening, laughing, playing--it is essential for the foundation of our relationship. I have even found myself whispering to them periodically. "I love you and I am FOR you."

If I, as a feeble, fallen, broken, sinful human can muster such love how much moreso is the Almighty God of the Universe capable of feeling incredible affection for his creation?

It is humbling to pause and think of God in Heaven whispering the same thing over my life. I created you. I gave you life. I redeemed you. I am for you. Stop running, fighting, pulling away from my plans. I love you. I am for you.

Amazing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved this....that last part just really spoke to me....great post!!