Sunday, January 23, 2011

Clay Pots

I still primarily use the NIV translation for Bible Study, but I really love cross referencing The Message translation for a fresh look at familiar texts. This afternoon, this text really spoke to me.

If you only look at us, you might well miss the brightness. We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives. That's to prevent anyone from confusing God's incomparable power with us. As it is, there's not much chance of that. You know for yourselves that we're not much to look at.
2 Corinthians 4:6-7 The Message

I really identify. As a small town, mid 30s homemaker in this great big world that seems to value glitz, glamour, beauty and achievement I am a rather ordinary clay pot. We can fall into the trap of believing that only the important people have lives that really matter to the world. But this passage reminded me of the great treasure that can be housed in unadorned containers.

More importantly it reminded me why God chooses the weak things of the world to shame the strong--so that we may never be tempted to believe that WE did it. He is the light, the hope, the reason, the power. He is the treasure.

We have the honor of containing this treasure in our hearts and lives. He entrusts us with his love and grace and mercy. We are his chosen vessels to take that light and love to the world.

This weekend my girlfriends and I did a bit of musing about how our faces (skin) are starting to change. I confess my clay pot is starting to feel like it is showing signs of wear and age. (It is character, right?) I am reminded that the wear has been hard earned. Each chip and crack is a reminder of the missteps and the trials along the way.

Don't be discouraged if you are feeling a little clay pottish. If you have God, you've been chosen for great things. It truly is what's inside that counts!