Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Captured

I am very involved in planning a large fundraiser for the adolescent group home in my area right now. We always face the challenge of trying to tell the real story of what we do at the home and making these lives real to potential donors without violating the privacy of any of the young people we are serving.

Enter my friend, Ellie. She is a very gifted photographer. She agreed to come and take some photos of our residents to try and capture a little slice of their lives. Doing that in a way that protects their privacy is no small task. She did it beautifully.

I was thrilled when she sent me a sneak peek tonight...but the coolest part was hearing the girls talk about the experience of the photo shoot afterwards. When I walked in tonight for Bible Study one of the girls, B. a 14 year old girl who loves to brag of how tough she is, pulled out her phone and proudly showed me this picture.

Ellie had graciously captured one of the same shots she was working on for publicity for B.

"Can you believe those are our fingers?" she asked, smiling incredulously.

Seeing herself through someone else's lens moved her. I don't think she had ever thought of herself as capable of being featured in a work of art.

B's reaction really shouldn't seem so surprising. I feel that way when I get glimpses of myself through God's lens.

Really? That's me? Your child? An heir to your kingdom? A recipient of your boundless grace and unceasing love? You delight in me?

It is the cry of a woman' s heart to be found beautiful. Our Creator knows that.

I want to be beautiful
Make you stand in awe
Look inside my heart,
and be amazed
I want to hear you say
Who I am is quite enough
Just want to be worthy of love
And beautiful

Sometimes I wish I was someone other than me
Fighting to make the mirror happy
Trying to find whatever is missing
Won't you help me back to glory

You make me beautiful
You make me stand in awe
You step inside my heart, and I am amazed
I love to hear You say
Who I am is quite enough
You make me worthy of love and beautiful
-Beautiful, by Bethany Dillon

I love that a gifted photographer was able to capture some of my girls' stories...I love that she was able to use her talent to show them a different view of themselves. May we all use whatever gift God has given us to do the same for the people in our lives. May the reflection of themselves they see when they interact with us be one they want a copy of to carry around and proudly show to the world--just like my young friend B.

2 comments:

April said...

Such a beautiful photo. I adore how much is spoken through those fingers.
Thanks for your insight, wisdom and encouragement surrounding ministering to young girls. We have started a girls group in our church within the past year and God is at work!
I think I originally clicked on your blog via Kelly's Korner....your blogs are a blessing.

Pamela said...

Beautiful thoughts. I, too, am amazed that I'm chosen to be a child of God. The picture is amazing and I've never seen one like it.