Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Trite?

Is it trite to say that I am thankful on the night before Thanksgiving? Maybe so, but that's my story and I am sticking to it.

I cooked my fanny off today. I am not a 'cook' typically. I like a clean kitchen and I have three little interrupters that keep me from being able to concentrate on anything for very long. My husband never knows when he will or will not make it home for dinner. So, I have decided that in this season, keeping life simple in the kitchen is best for all of us.

But today? Today a switch flipped in me and I had a manic episode on culinary productivity. It all started with brining two turkeys at 7am--that led to cranberry pumpkin muffins (from scratch). Once I built up a little confidence I decided to go ahead and attempt cranberry pomegranate sauce for tomorrow. Because that recipe was on the Pioneer Woman's site, I spotted a Nantucket Cranberry Pie I wanted to try. It was only 8:30, so I loaded my people up and made a quick trip to Kroger for ingredients.

While the pie was cooking, I spotted a recipe on PW's site for homemade creamy mashed potatoes. I decided it was worth ANOTHER trip to Kroger for 5 lbs of potatoes, cream cheese, etc... while I was out picking up a few accompaniments I ordered from elsewhere. :-) Late this afternoon, I finally ran out of steam (and clean pots and pans).

It was a very fulfilling day. (And largely made possible by the fact that I had arranged for a sitter to come play with my trio for a couple of hours.)

I am thankful for the deep and meaningful things: the lasting eternal gift of salvation, redemption, purpose and peace...but I am grateful for the smaller things too.

Tonight my heart is smiling because of the simple things...a family to cook for, the ability to pop over to the grocery store for what I want, working with my hands, delicious food and spices that were all God's creative, wonderful idea, sweet giggles from the next room, seeing my beloved's face as he arrived home this afternoon for a much needed 4 day weekend. My refrigerator, my dishwasher and most importantly my heart are very, very full.

It may seem trite to write about thankfulness tonight--but it is certainly not insincere.

Thank you! Everything in me says "Thank you!" Angels listen as I sing my thanks. I kneel in worship facing your holy temple and say it again: "Thank you!" Thank you for your love, thank you for your faithfulness; Most holy is your name, most holy is your Word. The moment I called out, you stepped in; You made my life large with strength.
Psalm 138:1-3 The Message

5 comments:

nen said...

A resounding Amen!

Traci said...

Not trite at all. My thoughts exactly- something is different this year, and I've been much more aware of what's been given to me and the people I love. Happy Thanksgiving!

k and c's mom said...

Claiming for myself the part of the verse that says, "You made my life large with strength." Holidays can be hard, but your blog is such an encouragement and light to me. Happy Thanksgiving to all the Scotts.

Claire said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cxx

Renee said...

2 turkeys?!? you must have it down pat by now since we cooked "together" a few years ago. i was off the hook with the turkey this year and just in charge of some sides. pw's mashed potatoes have remained a favorite of mine, though, anytime of year! hope y'all had a great thanksgiving!