Tuesday, November 23, 2010

59 Days

Last week as I was pulling into the parking lot for one of the boys' speech appointments K asked, "Mom, why do the boys get to do therapy but I have never been able to?"

I had to laugh. Of all the things for a sibling to be jealous over!

We had our first real talk about prematurity and the effect it often has on development. I explained that they arrived in this world 59 days sooner than most babies. There was a great deal of 'cooking' in my tummy that they missed out on--and yet they are remarkably bright, healthy and well-developed. It is a miracle really.

I am not sure why I have never thought about it in the context of how many days early they were born--something about marking it that way has resonated in my heart and mind. Fifty nine days early and yet, they are flourishing.

God was not surprised by their early arrival. He accomplished His purposes by a deadline He set.

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:16 NIV

This week as I reflect on the many, many things for which I am grateful, I hope God will continue to bless me with renewed perspective about the miracles around me every day that I take for granted. May we not grow so comfortable that we become lulled into a sense of complacency.

"Gratitude is born in hearts that take time to count up past mercies." Charles E. Jefferson

3 comments:

Marva said...

What a blessing to read this......I had never thought about how many days early the boys were (my own twins) but they were 50 days early. What a thought.......

You are such a blessing! May you and yours have a very blessed Thanksgiving!

Christi said...

My youngest came 56 days early, and he, too, is remarkably bright, healthy & well-developed. I realize I do take it for granted now (both of my children, actually) when really, they are miracles!

Thanks for the lovely reminder this morning.

And btw, my older son is jealous that my younger son does speech therapy, too. Especially when the appointments are virtual & we're using the web-cam!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for writing this post. I was put on strict bed rest yesterday and I'm exactly 59 days today from my due date. I have hardly slept all night thinking of all that's left undone and all that I was hoping to do this Christmas season. But all the while I'm anxious about my little girl who needs to cook as long as she can.

Thank you for reminding me that God planned her life and her exact birthday from the beginning. He's not surprised that she'll most likely be born in the next few weeks.

I really needed that this morning.